Getting started in underwater archeology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
As my kids go off to college, I am looking at more free time (o.k. not really, but now I will make time for myself, and not feel guilty about it). I would like to combine two of my favorite things, scuba and history, together. Can anyone recommend a few good books that I can read that would get me started in underwater archeology? Also, do you know of anybody that does underwater archeology for a living, and could use the help of a volunteer?
Thanks for any help offered.

Bob

it may not be what your'e after but "Submerged: Adventures of Americas Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team" by Daniel Lenihan is quite a good read.
- it doesn't tell you how or where you could train/volunteer though

it may not be what your'e after but "Submerged: Adventures of Americas Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team" by Daniel Lenihan is quite a good read.
- it doesn't tell you how or where you could train/volunteer though

I actually read it! Fascinating.

I_AM

Here's a few of my favorites
The Sea Remembers-P Throckmorton
Spanish Plate Fleet-R Walton
Treasure Divers Guide-Potter
Robert Marx has a reputation as a scoundrel/treasure hunter in archaeology circles. He finds ships, he writes books, lots of books. Some people have heroes like Jaques Cousteau, this guy got me into the oceans. I met him before a lecture he was giving, BS'd for about 5 minutes until his minions found him and I realized it was Marx. The pictures I'd seen in books growing up were in the 70's. This was three years ago and he tells a great tale of adventure that Clive Cusler and Indiana Jones can't come near. He's the real deal for ship exploration and can write abou it

I have the Underwater Archeology Course from UM on Tape and the course manual (which is nearly impossible to get) I would be happy to sell it to you. PM me if interested.

Texas A&M University @ Galveston teaches several courses on nautical archeology contact Dr. Samuel Mark for course info.

Here is (arguably) the best place in the U.S., and (not arguably) one of the best in the world. And they do in fact have opportunities for volunteers, both nationally and abroad.

Institute of Nautical Archaeology

If you want to try something a little farther out, ponder underwater robotics.

Here's a link you might find fascinating. Turn up the sound. (P.S. Bill Stone was the primary inventor of the Cis-Lunar rebreather a few years back...) My cousin, currently working as the planetary protection officer for NASA in DC, is funding Stone's work in Texas:

TED | Talks | Bill Stone: Journey to the center of the Earth ... and beyond! (video)

the possibilities are endless.....

Back
Top Bottom