Getting some gear! BCD, reg and computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy!
I finished my DMT in February, and am starting my IDC in Sept/Oct so it is time to buy equipment. I've only ever used shop gear, apart from my fins and mask, so I really have no idea when it comes to gear. I've looked around a bit, and at scubatoys.com I found the following gear:

BCD:
Mares Sport AT or the Mares Origin Sport. I have no experience with, or really even knowledge of, air trim. Also I do want a BCD with decent pockets as I'll be bringing a bit of stuff down on most dives.
Reg:
Aeris A1 Package. Aeris A1 reg, Mares Brigade Viper Octo, Mares Mission 2 gauge, and LPI, I guess. I like this gauge as well cause it's in bar!
Computer:
Aeris XR1. I have read good things about this computer, and it is cheap.

I will probably add in some other things like a knife, snorkel, and other minor items.
I'm going to be teaching, so I need fairly durable stuff but at the same rate, you might notice all these items are rather cheap.. another of my criteria :)
At a total cost of $8-900 including shipping I reckon this is a steal even with import taxes.

Please share your opinions and other recommendations if you have them. I like Mares, they are cheap and reputable, and can be serviced all over the world I believe.
Peace,
Jimmy

I have a hard time believing that anyone who is qualified to be an instructor also has no idea about what to look for in equipment. If you have dont enough dives for an instructor cert then you have likely borrowed/rented various kit so you should have some experience with at least a couple brands and a few styles of everything.
For me personally I wouldn't take mares or aeris gear if it was free... same goes for several other brands.

BCD's dont require any pockets unless you dont have any pockets on your suit and even then its pretty limited as to what goes in a pocket. What "items" do yo plan to carry in a pocket on your dives? A simple BP/W with a hogarthian harness should suit your needs like it does for most of the top cave and wreck explorers in the world. At most you could add a $20 pocket if you need it.

I dont mean to sound harsh but by now I would think you would be pretty well set with your own gear or have a good idea in your brain of whats good. If nothing else there should be plenty of students who have passed by your eyes in various kit so you could inspect in person.

T

Back
Top Bottom