Getting some gear! BCD, reg and computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure Kyphur will agree with me that you should already be diving with a cutting tool at this point.

Invest in a finger spool and quality SMB. Developing these skills now if you have not already is very wise. Vital parts of any serious diver's kit IMO. Instant ascent line for your future newbie divers if needed, safety stop line and many other uses. Do you currently carry an SMB.

Yes, I would agree whole-heartedly with those statements. I've had the Dive Knife since day one, will be adding EMT Shears (note I didn't say they'd replace the knife as I think both have their uses)

I have 2 reels/spools (that so far have only been used in Rescue Training for Circle Search Pattern) and a SMB.

I tend to dive with a bit of current. Having an instant ascent line for student divers is very helpful especially when looking after more then one diver. Being able to deploy an SMB at depth via the finger spool is fantastic. For under 50 dives it sounds like you are doing really well. Are you thinking DM?

I tend to dive with a bit of current. Having an instant ascent line for student divers is very helpful especially when looking after more then one diver. Being able to deploy an SMB at depth via the finger spool is fantastic. For under 50 dives it sounds like you are doing really well. Are you thinking DM?

Thanks for the compliment. DM will be my goal for next year. I have 2 more Certs for the Summer season (Deep Diver & Wreck Diver) then this winter I want to go up north (to Wisconsin) and do Ice Diver. In the mean time I plan to get as much time in the water as possible just developing the knowledge I've gained into the skills that will serve me and those I dive with.

My long term plans include going all the way to Instructor and my wife has agreed that once she gets her Nursing degree and is making a decent salary I can retire for the IT Rat Race to live the Scuba Bum lifestyle!

Eventually I want to be on the big island (Luzan) in the Philippines and get involved with their underwater clean-up efforts, maybe giving free lessons to divers who volunteer time to the cause.

Part of my plans include building a small apartment building with a large pool (enclosed in a simple building), compressor & equipment area so I can do this.

You finished your DMT with store gear? and now you are moving onto IDC? and you are unfamiliar with gear? And now want to buy gear. Oki....great. However at the level of training you just finished. You should have had ALL your gear. Personal stuff, not rented gear from your dive shop. On that note. You should be very familiar with what the dive shop has to offer as far as gear wise. Your students / clients look to you for advice. If you know nothing...your behind bigtime.

I repeat the words of kyphur..«.insert his first very informative reply here........» There was not any pissing on from where I sit..really it was good advice.

I am not going to piss on your parade. Take what you want from what everyone said. And while your are at it. If you can. Go into several dive shops and look at what they have, ask many questions and do not buy the first thing you see. Buy what is right for you, what fits your type of diving best and what FITS you aswell.

Do not look at price. Forget the price when shopping for gear. The most expensive may not even fit you properly nor the cheapest either...always try if you can before you buy...

Regs, if you can try the regs you are interested in that is a bonus. BC same thing. Wetsuit same deal....A computer. Get one that is Nitrox compatible and one you can change the battery yourself. Just be prepared to spend more than what you think for quality gear. Your life depends on what you put on and breathe from. Also any gear will last. As long as you maintain it and service it.

Safe dives...and relax...

Stephen

Howdy!
I finished my DMT in February, and am starting my IDC in Sept/Oct so it is time to buy equipment. I've only ever used shop gear, apart from my fins and mask, so I really have no idea when it comes to gear. I've looked around a bit, and at scubatoys.com I found the following gear:

BCD:
Mares Sport AT or the Mares Origin Sport. I have no experience with, or really even knowledge of, air trim. Also I do want a BCD with decent pockets as I'll be bringing a bit of stuff down on most dives.
Reg:
Aeris A1 Package. Aeris A1 reg, Mares Brigade Viper Octo, Mares Mission 2 gauge, and LPI, I guess. I like this gauge as well cause it's in bar!
Computer:
Aeris XR1. I have read good things about this computer, and it is cheap.

I will probably add in some other things like a knife, snorkel, and other minor items.
I'm going to be teaching, so I need fairly durable stuff but at the same rate, you might notice all these items are rather cheap.. another of my criteria :)
At a total cost of $8-900 including shipping I reckon this is a steal even with import taxes.

Please share your opinions and other recommendations if you have them. I like Mares, they are cheap and reputable, and can be serviced all over the world I believe.
Peace,
Jimmy

Eventually I want to be on the big island (Luzan) in the Philippines and get involved with their underwater clean-up efforts, maybe giving free lessons to divers who volunteer time to the cause.

PM if you make it out to the region. Some descent warm water wrecks in my area. If you still have not done the wreck specialty I would be happy to complete it with you or just fun dive. You are approaching things the way a DM should. You can have the best instructors but there is no substitute for experience IMHO. Ice diving sounds way cool!

I'm surprised that nobody had mentioned backplate/wing for BC yet.

That's what my instructors used and that's where I got the inspiration for buying BPW when I bought my first BC.

As far as pockets go, it's probably better to have them sewn onto your exposure suit(s) than having BC pockets. I can get to thigh pockets a lot easier than fumbling with pockets on the BC, be it a poodle jacket or a BPW.

Regulators for a hard working DM should probably be on the generous side of maintenance. Atomic regulators have factory recommended service intervals of 300-dives or 2-years whichever comes first.

As far as computers go, that's up to the OP. Personally I think that instructors should use SPG and a timing device so that they can truly instruct the basic OW students on how to plan their successive dives.

@Jimmy_P: For you, I really don't see the value in buying brand new gear at this point. Save a few bucks and put that money towards your dive education. As has already been mentioned, it is common practice for the dive shop employing you as a dive professional (DM or instructor) to require that you use gear that the shop sells -- it's simply good marketing for the shop. Any gear you buy now will invariably become your "pool gear" once you begin working as an instructor. If I were you, I would try to buy middle-of-the-line, robust, easy-to-service used gear. Buying some of the old rental gear from your LDS is a good option. You'll be able to afford the higher-priced gear later on with your special "keyman" discounts.
Hope this helps...

I'm just shocked at a DMT that 1. doesn't own his own kit and 2. doesn't seem to know anything (even basic information) about said gear. Step 1 of learning to be a anything-master, learn the basics.

I'm just shocked at a DMT that 1. doesn't own his own kit and 2. doesn't seem to know anything (even basic information) about said gear. Step 1 of learning to be a anything-master, learn the basics.

Agreed. One of the big criteria to get into my DM program (hell, even an AOW class) is "be an active diver and own your own gear".

And the Divemaster program has a pretty significant section on equipment, so how can one finish a Divemaster program and "really have no idea when it comes to gear"

Excellent, now we're talking.
Thanks for all your replies. I feel I should clarify some things.. First, I am not a working DMT, though I already mentioned this. I did my DMT while traveling in SE Asia, so buying gear was out of the question as I didn't have loads of money. I'll probably end up working as a freelance instructor, so there will be no requirement to use shop gear. I am currently in Europe saving up money for equipment & IDC, so buying used gear is out of the question for the time being as there are not many divers here.

Where I did my DMT, most other DMTs used shop gear as well. They were mostly in the same boat as me. Hell, quite a few of the guys who did their IDC while I was there used shop gear.

Decided against air trim; like someone said, students won't be using it. I don't want integrated weights for the same reason. And yeah, I do intend to get an SMB, knife, etc as well. But I can get those things locally. From what people have told me it is quite a bit cheaper to buy the "big" things online. Estimate $1500 for reg, BC & computer locally. Might find used gear but I don't want to bet on that, only to arrive and be forced to buy expensive new gear. I'd rather save $500 and hope the internet BC fits nicely.

I was thinking I'd just get a compass to mount on the computer wrist band. A friend got one and it was quite reliable, and a bargain.

Bubbletrubble:
I would try to buy middle-of-the-line, robust, easy-to-service used gear.
That is what I was thinking with the items I listed. Mares can be serviced most everywhere, and that BCD is meant to be quite robust. Also, the big pockets.. I will be diving in tropical waters, so I'll wear a short wetsuit at most, ie no thigh pockets.

The reg is the part I am least certain about. The Aeris one is marketed as robust, and in the package it comes with a Mares SPG & octo, all of which made me feel a bit more comfortable with it.

I can always get a Gekko for a computer, like someone also mentioned, but that will cost $300-350 locally, maybe 50-70 less used. People seem to like the Aeris on these forums, and it is a steal at $150. There's also the Mares M2@$165, which is also a nitrox comp. After reading some reviews I'm more inclined towards that one now.

Naturally I do not rely solely on an Internet forum to find out what I ought to do. I've asked the people I know, done a bit of research and will continue to do so, and I'll probably check in with a LDS if I can find one.

Thanks again for your replies. Unfortunately, more insight has left me with more confusion. It is clear that I have a lot more finding out to do before I take action.

Back
Top Bottom