Getting some gear! BCD, reg and computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmy P

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Howdy!
I finished my DMT in February, and am starting my IDC in Sept/Oct so it is time to buy equipment. I've only ever used shop gear, apart from my fins and mask, so I really have no idea when it comes to gear. I've looked around a bit, and at scubatoys.com I found the following gear:

BCD:
Mares Sport AT or the Mares Origin Sport. I have no experience with, or really even knowledge of, air trim. Also I do want a BCD with decent pockets as I'll be bringing a bit of stuff down on most dives.
Reg:
Aeris A1 Package. Aeris A1 reg, Mares Brigade Viper Octo, Mares Mission 2 gauge, and LPI, I guess. I like this gauge as well cause it's in bar!
Computer:
Aeris XR1. I have read good things about this computer, and it is cheap.

I will probably add in some other things like a knife, snorkel, and other minor items.
I'm going to be teaching, so I need fairly durable stuff but at the same rate, you might notice all these items are rather cheap.. another of my criteria :)
At a total cost of $8-900 including shipping I reckon this is a steal even with import taxes.

Please share your opinions and other recommendations if you have them. I like Mares, they are cheap and reputable, and can be serviced all over the world I believe.
Peace,
Jimmy

I might get slammed for this and Jimmy P don't take this as an attack or anything but...

Why does "Cheap" seem to be the foremost concern of yours when looking for gear?

I've never heard of a DM not having their own gear, is this common practice?

Something to think about as you're moving up the professional ladder is that new divers & students are going to look at your gear and, fair or not, it will form part of their opinion of you as a dive professional.

I look at every DM & Instructor's rig that I've worked with. I learn from how they run their gear.

If you want to save money then maybe look for used gear. For $300 - $350 you can get a Suunto Corba (Air Integreated) Computer (even with Suunto SK7 already mounted) right here on Scubaboard! It will display in Imperial or Metric.

The "Less Than $200 Brand New Puck Computers" should be limited to back-up gear if even that. Many of them can't even have the battery changed.

I don't know Mares line but I do know that I could have saved a lot on my AquaLung gear sets if I had stepped down a line or two but I already know I'm going all the way to instructor so I just skipped the cheaper gear.

I'm not saying buy the most expensive gear you can find.

Do it this way:

1) Decide what features, endurance etc your really need in your gear. Remember that as a diving pro you'll put more miles (or is it knots) on your gear than a holiday diver will.

2) Find a few different rigs from different manufacturers and compare the quality. Don't look at price yet.

3) Take your top 3 or 4 and find the best price you can get for each.

4) Now decide which set is the best value FOR YOU.

I think you'll find that sometime paying a bit more will give you much higher quality and when you're talking about gear that is designed to keep you alive in a hostile environment that's never a bad thing.

BTW, 1 of my 3 complete rigs is 90% Used Gear. Got it all serviced before using and have tested the **** out of it but I trust it with my life even being 10 years old. Yes it was top of the line in it's day and has stood the test of time.

If the gear is crap, then I won't get it. That is why I ask for opinions in this forum, which I believe is in fact the appropriate one, and from diver friends.

Most working DMs have their own gear. I'm not a working DM, I just finished my DMT in February. Most DMTs do not have their own gear. Is this relevant?

Did you look at the links I so conveniently provided?
You might have noticed every item is at a reduced price.
Does expensive equal good quality? Does cheap equal bad quality?
My primary concern is that the gear is durable, because I will take it for a lot of dives. My secondary concern is price, because I don't have an abundance of money.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that the first response to my first proper thread in this forum strays far off topic and doesn't even bother to address the questions I posed.

Get defensive much?

Where I live DM Candidates are generally expected to have their own gear already.

I gave you a fair and honest response based on the statements you made and went so far as to share my personal insight.

I made no attack on you. I never said everything expensive is good, everything cheap is bad.

I'm unfazed by the listed "reduced price" as this is a common online sales tactic, list the MSRP as original price point then list your everyday price as a Sale or Reduced price.

Some of my comments are what they are because you used the word "Cheap" three times but only once (in passing to get to cheap) said it should be "fairly durable".

I think if you stop and read your post carefully then read my thought-out response you might gain a little insight.

BTW, all of this is my opinion and any advice you find in it is worth exactly what I charged you for it ($0).

The spirit of my reply was no where near how you apparently read it.

If the gear is crap, then I won't buy it.
I believe I mentioned this already. So that's why I asked for opinions. I also explained in my original post that I don't really know much about gear, so I found some items that looked good to me, and tried to get opinions on it.

Instead I get a sermon on how I say "cheap" a lot, completely irrelevant questions about DMs, and despite mentioning that your post strayed from topic, here you are again, further away from the original topic.

Feel free to recommend products and critique the ones I have listed. But if you are unable to stick to the topic, please refrain from posting altogether. I appreciate advice and recommendations, but only as long as they are relevant. If I want someone to tell me I'm stingy, all I have to do is tell my friends about my last date.

You seem to have ignored more than half of my original post so I'll quote it below.

BTW, I really hope your "Shut-up and only answer specific questions" attitude doesn't keep someone else from trying to be helpful.

A life lesson for you: Learn to take what you need and igonre the rest, maybe you would have found something useful in my post and not had to rant about how I dared to express a personal opinion on the internet (which we know should never happen).

Happy Bubbles, apologies for spoiling your first "Proper" thread. I guess I should have looked for some of your Improper ones :shakehead:

The "Less Than $200 Brand New Puck Computers" should be limited to back-up gear if even that. Many of them can't even have the battery changed.

I don't know Mares line but I do know that I could have saved a lot on my AquaLung gear sets if I had stepped down a line or two but I already know I'm going all the way to instructor so I just skipped the cheaper gear.

I'm not saying buy the most expensive gear you can find.

Do it this way:

1) Decide what features, endurance etc your really need in your gear. Remember that as a diving pro you'll put more miles (or is it knots) on your gear than a holiday diver will.

2) Find a few different rigs from different manufacturers and compare the quality. Don't look at price yet.

3) Take your top 3 or 4 and find the best price you can get for each.

4) Now decide which set is the best value FOR YOU.

I think you'll find that sometime paying a bit more will give you much higher quality and when you're talking about gear that is designed to keep you alive in a hostile environment that's never a bad thing.

BTW, 1 of my 3 complete rigs is 90% Used Gear. Got it all serviced before using and have tested the **** out of it but I trust it with my life even being 10 years old. Yes it was top of the line in it's day and has stood the test of time.

I really hope your "Shut-up and only answer specific questions" attitude doesn't keep someone else from trying to be helpful.

A life lesson for you:

Wow dude. Is it so hard to understand?
The attitude you're talking about doesn't exist.
I posted here to get opinions specifically on the gear I mentioned and provided links to. I was hoping that someone would have experience with some of these items.

Instead I'm getting incessant nonsense and now life lessons? If I wanted those, there are plenty of forums I could go to. If I wanted people to tell me how cheap I am, I have avenues for that too. I'm here to get opinions specifically on the gear I mentioned and recommendations for alternative solutions, if anyone has them. I have told you this in every single post now.

I've already mentioned twice that I don't know much about equipment, so your step-by-step guide isn't very helpful to me.

I really hope your pedantic and argumentative attitude doesn't draw too much attention away from the original topic and keep someone else from being helpful.

I've already mentioned twice that I don't know much about equipment, so your step-by-step guide isn't very helpful to me.

Follow the steps, you'll learn about the equipment. Shouldn't a "Working Dive Master" know something about the equipment that is not only common but required for the sport?

Don't depend solely on the opinions of strangers on an internet forum. This is gear that you will be trusting your life to. Find a shop that carries the exact brands/models you are considering and go look at them in person. Just because JoeLovesScuba1234 liked a BCD that doesn't mean you will. Maybe he is a very large guy and appreciated the generous cut but you being thin and tall would rather have a less generous mid-section.

As someone said in another thread, "Lawyers have pretty much ensured that even the low-end gear will get you there & back" so honestly anything will work the question is more about comfort and durability.

Regarding the "Air Trim" BCD feature, personally I have a SeaQuest I3 (AquaLung's version of Air Trim) and I love it but others have expressed a concern about the non-standard inflator in the even that I ever need assistance in the water.

For the Regulator, you need to think about the environment you'll be diving. Environmentally sealed isn't just good for cold/ice diving, it also keeps particulate & organic matter from clogging up the works. Personally I have a balanced diaphram first stage that is environmentally sealed as I live in the northern part of the US Midwest and cold muck diving is common here.

I'm trying to be helpful here, really I am.

That was fun to read :popcorn:

I can see Kyphur's point. Most DMT's are pretty serious divers prior to entering "pro" training and as such should own kit. If you used a variety of rental stuff that has some benefit as well. I cringe at thought of using rental stuff, as I have seen some pretty bad stuff along the way. I would consider what is comfortable for you. I personally don't like Mares BCD's as they tend to ride up too high on the shoulders. Can you find a used Scuba Pro knighhawk? I dive one and love it. I owned an AirTrim BCD and sold it. I am not a fan. Plus, most students will have conventional BCDs. You should be similar to your students IMO.

You may want to consider going reg package with analog gauges. I have air pressure and a compass on my SPG. Having the compass on the SPG ensures you never "leave home" without it. Having the analog gauges on your SPG will help when teaching. For depth use a dive watch. Suunto Gecko is the work horse for many DMs in these parts. You could find a used one as well. Splurging on a new one will be worth it IMO. You should have it for years.

I am sure Kyphur will agree with me that you should already be diving with a cutting tool at this point.

Invest in a finger spool and quality SMB. Developing these skills now if you have not already is very wise. Vital parts of any serious diver's kit IMO. Instant ascent line for your future newbie divers if needed, safety stop line and many other uses. Do you currently carry an SMB.

Last edited:
Are you going to be an independent DM or work with a shop? If you're going to work with a shop, check with the owner to see if the require you to use the gear that they sell; most shops do this so that you promote their brands. If the do require you to use the gear that they sell, most times they will give DMs/instructors a very good discount.

I don't want to be part of the pissing match that has already started, but it might be worth taking the time to become familiar with the different kinds/brands of gear that are out there. Your students will be checking out what you're using and will ask you questions about equipment; why this reg/computer/BC and not that one? I'm not saying that you have to be a reg tech or anything like that, but being able to answer questions like piston vs. diaphram, back inflate vs. jacket vs. BP/W, weight integrated vs. weight belt would be very helpful to your students. Also, knowing how different gear setups work on the surface will help you solve problems underwater, should they come up. If you are working with a shop, get to know the lines they sell and what they have in the rental fleet.

Back
Top Bottom