Getting Plan "B" in place for diving the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to venture further, Bahia Honda has camping also (between Marathon and Big Pine)

have fun!!!

Recommendations on diver gear to take with me?
Probably won't do any night dives so ....lights?
Reel with surface marker?
Exposure suit?....will 3mm be sufficient?
Reef hook?

If no night dives, then no light needed...(unless you like peering into coral holes or under ledges I always take my back up in a pocket)

Surface marker and reel? doing deep dives? then yeah, shallow reefs only, leave it home...

You live in MD? do you dive up here also? (Bainbridge, Dutch Springs?) 3mm will probably work, the locals are all wearing 5's I was just down Nov.16 through Dec 6. my 3mm was fine, got a little cold at the end of the second dive on a few days, but nothing horrible... I think mostly the water temps were mid-high 70's

reef hook? currents weren't THAT bad....

I've been pretty cold in a 5mm during January. I tend to get cold easily. My wife typically wears a 3, but she has also been pretty chilly on occasion in January. We cut one dive short because of the cold in Jan. of '07. I'd suggest you bring along a hood or a vest in addition to whichever suit thickness you use (assuming a 3 or 5 mm). You may or may not want them.

Huh? You think that 80 minutes is a gazillion mile drive to the Keys? I live near FLL and owned a home in Key Largo for a while, it was 80 minutes door-to-door. I know people who spend more time on their daily commute. Heck, when I was still instructing we would take folks down there for the afternoon for their checkout dives, eat dinner, and come back.So says the person who just posted on another thread that we have crime everywhere. :shakehead: Sleeping on the beach? No wonder you have that attitude. I disagree heartily with your "crime everywhere" statement, but sleeping on the beach at night is just plain crazy.

I don't know of any campgrounds "close to" dive shops but you'll pass them on the way to the beach or boat anyway. Markham Park is waaaaaaaay out west and you appear to hate driving. TY and Easterlin Parks are further east. Broward County - Parks and Recreation Division
Is it me or is it something in the water (and I don't mean a great white off Jax) lately!?!

Huh? :confused:

I see, just wondering what is so strange about my post(s)...
confused.gif

heh! Well hopefully the OP is getting some good ideas for their upcoming trip. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom