Getting Old Is not So Bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Nail

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My names is Rusty, I have had my C-card since February of this year. During Thanksgiving last year, my wife and two daughters went to Dominic Republic on a winter vacation, while there, my two daughters Courtney (16) and Mckenzie (14) did a DSC. When they goy back home all they could talk about was diving so I told them if they wanted to get certified I would go with them. We did all of our bookwork and pool here in Atlanta and I flew our instructor down to Ft. Lauderdale with us to do our open water dives. Twenty-five dives later, I am hooked!! I took the kids back to Fla. diving once but since then it's been all me.
I am fifty years old and feel like a kid again! I just got back from Panama City, I got six dives in and would have got more except the last three days I was there the seas were too rough to go out. I bought a JBL Magnum speargun and got a big snapper the first time I pulled the trigger! Day before yesterday I went to my local dive shop and enrolled in Nitrox, Deep Diving, Navigation and Night Diving classes. SCUBA has consumed me!
When I found this forum I was elated! I have been reading blogs and posts non stop for two days! I especially liked "letting Go", that lady should write a novel, I couldn't read it fast enough. I don't mean to rant, I'm just glad to be here. It's good to know I have a place to come to to talk SCUBA and get information.

Hi. It is good to see youngsters like you discovering this sport! :D

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

Oh, and getting old sucks. :no:

I swore I would never do it, but that is not the only promise to myself I have broken..... :shakehead:

Way to go.. Welcome to the "break your pocketbook sport" At least you have some built in dive buddies. I'm 62, and been diving since I was 17... diving never gets old, just me. since you are so close, try some of the springs in the panhandle. Good place to take your family too. There are Gaters, but they won't come into the cold water. The water is so clear you will feel like you are flying.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Glad to hear that you are Hooked. In the SCUBA world, 50 is like 29.

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Hi. It is good to see youngsters like you discovering this sport! :D

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

Oh, and getting old sucks. :no:.....

I swore I would never do it, but that is not the only promise to myself I have broken..... :shakehead:
.Getting old doesn't suck !!!!.....You can borrow money from people and 'forget' to pay them back :) !!!!!

Age 50? Just a spring chicken, my friend. Glad that you have become fully "immersed" in this great activity. Great that your daughters can be your dive buddies... I like diving with my son (when he can tear himself away from his business). I guess I started diving just a bit before you were born and still get excited by the things I see on my dives. Nothing wrong with spearfishing for food, but you may find that "shooting" with a camera adds even more to the fun.

Wish I had started diving at 50, that would have given me an extra 11 years. I dive on trips with my sons, daughter-in-law, and grandson. They love warm water but are rarely available for the local cold water dives. :D

It is a great family activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom