Getting Off Plane At BON??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bags do take FOREVER (I’m pretty sure they walk them over one at a time), but I’d rather be in baggage claim than remain stuck in the middle of the plane waiting to plant my feet back on Bonaire soil (or concrete). Also, if you’ve booked your truck through one of the name brand rental agencies, you can send someone ahead (better be the one who reserved it) to be first in line at the rental counter. Rental car check in takes a long time at Budget, Avis etc... The local folks are much easier to work with, but not everyone goes this route.

Always stairs, no jetways here. Just recently acquired ramps for special need passmagers (only used if required). Usually both front and rear exit stairs used, but not guaranteed. Baggage isn’t that bad as you are nearly always the only jet on the tarmac.

You’re on an island, slow down, we’re not in a hurry here, neither should you be.

I think this thread has consumed more time than deplaning.

You could probably save even more time if you run across the tarmac!

I agree Parrothead, as soon as the plane door opens, that hot humid tropical air rushes in and the AC vents on the plane start to fog up, I know I'm in paradise and I slow right down.
In fact, I try to get into island mode when the plane takes off in Atlanta.

latest?cb=20130123233849

I don't know what airports you people use that have FASTER customs and baggage claim then Bonaire.. Hell, It takes more time to walk from a gate to the main area in most airports then the WHOLE thing takes in Bonaire..

Jim..

I agree, don't mind waiting for bags for a few minutes. Compared to say Owen Roberts in GC or my home airport YYZ, Flamingo is a breeze, literally and figuratively.

It makes no difference when you deplane. The bags take forever.

And the plane is a lot cooler.

Always stairs, no jetways here. Just recently acquired ramps for special need passmagers (only used if required). Usually both front and rear exit stairs used, but not guaranteed. Baggage isn’t that bad as you are nearly always the only jet on the tarmac.

You’re on an island, slow down, we’re not in a hurry here, neither should you be.

I don't know what airports you people use that have FASTER customs and baggage claim then Bonaire.. Hell, It takes more time to walk from a gate to the main area in most airports then the WHOLE thing takes in Bonaire..

Jim..

Slow down. You are now on island time.

Immigration is fairly rapid, although you may be standing a while in the heat outside if the air is still. You will be waiting inside a hot room for your luggage for a while, so there is no reason to try to race through the process. Your luggage will get there when it does.

Then you need to exit, get your transport which will normally be right outside the door, and then do your checking processing when you get where you are staying.
All this does take some time, but BON resorts are pretty well organized at this, if not exactly speed demons about the process.

Check In speed depends on the place you choose, but if your plan is to race through in time to do the mandatory STINAPA orientation and a check out dive, it pays to double check with your operator to see if they will be doing one in the later afternoon.

Dive Friends does the STINAPA and check out dive anytime.. (Before 5pm) and the STINAPA dive tag is now $45 dollars. Soon it'll be no longer CASH only.. They are putting in a new system to be able to use Credit cards.. To much cash is laying around..

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom