Getting my AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smelly

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to get my AOW cert. I'm Thinking of going through Wallins. Does any one have any recommendations on what shop to go to. Some other places that are close to me are Scuba Fusion, Anderson, and Bay Area Scuba. I live in Montara. Just looking for your guys two cents. Thanks

The shop isn't as important as the instructor teaching you. I'd speak to the instructor from several shops and find one you feel understands what you want to get out of the class.

This is a course that is held at Wallin's. Fundamentals Read the "Required Dive Skills and Drills", it goes far beyond a typical AOW class.

Personally, I will never be AOW certified...

Just in case you have not seen it yet "Hitler Isn't AOW" :rofl3:
[youtubehq]YmqWSbJRrOI[/youtubehq] :rofl3:

I was under the impression that there are some circumstances where you have to be AOW to be able to dive, e.g., I went on a 3 tank boat dive where you had to show you were AOW certified to go, and I thought Cozumel required something of that sort too (but I could be totally mistaken, it was something I had in my head years ago)

:shocked2:
LOL Never would of thought of Hitler to be a diver. Funny subtitles.
The purpose of my AOW is I want to get Search and Rescue Cert. And also It gives me 5 dives with out having to convince my wife.

:shocked2:
LOL Never would of thought of Hitler to be a diver. Funny subtitles.
The purpose of my AOW is I want to get Search and Rescue Cert. And also It gives me 5 dives with out having to convince my wife.

I won't get into the debate over the value of AOW (I've had it too many times at the shop already), but I can definitely recommend Wallin's for training. I've had really good experiences with all of the instructors I've worked with there.

Full disclosure - I'm a DM candidate training there.

Cool. Ya I do think its a marketing ploy. But it is what it is!
I did get my OW cert from them in 98. Troy & Ron were my instructors. I did like them. My only concern is there AOW is predetermined. I would like to Nitrox in the mix. But I prob will still go to them.
Who knows maybe will be able to meet each other there.

I did get my OW cert from them in 98. Troy & Ron were my instructors. I did like them. My only concern is there AOW is predetermined. I would like to Nitrox in the mix. But I prob will still go to them.
Who knows maybe will be able to meet each other there.

They offer Nitrox classes often, and they're quite affordable. I would recommend talking to them at the store about doing it and AOW together - you never know what they'll be willing to help you out with.

Ditto on that. You never know what you might be able to do if you don't ask. Case in point, my AOW instructor (which also happened to be my OW instructor) offers a "advanced" AOW--AOW + nitrox + drysuit class. He gives a bit of a discount on each of the specialties, and I'm charged one shop/registration fee.

They offer Nitrox classes often, and they're quite affordable. I would recommend talking to them at the store about doing it and AOW together - you never know what they'll be willing to help you out with.

Fobturbo that sounds very much like a Paul Miller and or Diver Dan's offering... It's the route I went at least.

Back
Top Bottom