Getting into deco diving, questions on things being taught and standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lavatiger99

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am getting into decompression diving with new instructors, and am being taught things different from what I learned before, and I am trying to figure out what is their personal preference and what is standard in the tec diving community. They are giving the impression everything they are teaching is standard across the community.

First, when I trained in side-mount, I learned with the long hose on my right tank, wrapped around my neck once and clipped off on the right shoulder when not using, with a short hose on my left tank attached to a necklace. What I am being taught now is "Left, Lean, Long" in reference to the left tank should be the leanest mix, but also my long hose should be on the left side. I tried googling this and didn't find much info. So is it standard practice to have the left hose as the long hose?

Second, they do not like the long hose wrapped around the neck weather breathing off it or not. They want it all tucked into the tank bungies.

Third, they said necklace for the short hose is an entanglement hazard, and want it clipped off on shoulder d ring as well. I am more amenable to this suggestion, but wasn't too sure on the other two.

Any direction as to what is standard in the tec diving community, DIR, GUE, etc would be appreciated. I plan on doing it this way for the course, but want to be practicing a standard configuration afterwards.

Thanks!

Many different standards but some of those recommendations are quite different from common practice. Neck bungees are very common, same as long hose around the neck.

A hose from the left tank that is not run across the back of your neck would require a second stage that is fed from the left. There are some like that, but not many.

For verification, are you in side mount or back mount? Side mount can get a little creative, but if they are saying long hose on the left in back mount, ask for your money back.

Second on the different mixes in your primary tanks (side or back) is very non-standard. There is "rich right, lean left" but that is referring to deco or bailouts, not primary tanks.

Hello,
I am getting into decompression diving with new instructors, and am being taught things different from what I learned before, and I am trying to figure out what is their personal preference and what is standard in the tec diving community. They are giving the impression everything they are teaching is standard across the community.

First, when I trained in side-mount, I learned with the long hose on my right tank, wrapped around my neck once and clipped off on the right shoulder when not using, with a short hose on my left tank attached to a necklace. What I am being taught now is "Left, Lean, Long" in reference to the left tank should be the leanest mix, but also my long hose should be on the left side. I tried googling this and didn't find much info. So is it standard practice to have the left hose as the long hose?

Second, they do not like the long hose wrapped around the neck weather breathing off it or not. They want it all tucked into the tank bungies.

Third, they said necklace for the short hose is an entanglement hazard, and want it clipped off on shoulder d ring as well. I am more amenable to this suggestion, but wasn't too sure on the other two.
Which
H
Any direction as to what is standard in the tec diving community, DIR, GUE, etc would be appreciated. I plan on doing it this way for the course, but want to be practicing a standard configuration afterwards.

Thanks!
Which agencies?, before and now, since you are asking about standards.

The "Lean Long Left" they were referring to Long hose for main tank on left, lean deco on left. Not putting anything but bottom gasses in main tanks (sorry for the confusion). I see that lean left rich right seems to be common, and have no issue with that.

They are teaching thru TDI (I did sidemount via TDI as well with different instructor). I'm diving side-mount.

So I will not get any strange looks if after this course I put my long hose on my right, with some slack around my neck (that's the motion I thought the S drills came from), and short hose on left +/- necklace?

Thanks!

You ask a dozen divers and you will get thirteen different answers.

In general the long hose is on your right with the short hose on the right. The necklace on the short hose is so standard that anyone suggesting that it is an entanglement hazard is an immediate red flag. Over your neck or not with the long hose or the short hose is a matter of preference, but I like over my next because I can just drop it. Like when I am scootering, I just drop my long hose letting it dangle off my neck, put my short hose in and then clip it off, all while not coming off the trigger. Same with switching off to stages or deco bottles if I need the other hand for something.

Lean left, rich right isn't even remotely a standard, there are a lot that use it but you have the DIR adjacent sidemount community that follow all stages should be breathed off the left side with no assumption about the contents.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom