Getting Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am thinking of getting the bio-fins by apollo. am i making the right choice? heard from some users that its really great underwater. they do not need much strength to propell forward.

-
Im using Jet fins and I love them. They are a perfect example of cheaper sometimes being the best. I had a Mares fin previously and they where not bad but I had a hell of a time finding straps that would fit them. More than once I was forced to buy the entire quick release asembly because I couldn't find a dive shop that had a simple strap that would fit. That is one of the reasons I ditched the fin. Just something for you to think about.

I am very happy with the jet fins. If you decide to go with jets get an extra large. The XL is a much larger fin than the large.

In every comparison test with measured results, the Biofin-Pro or XT has been the top performer among open heel fins. This includes top speed, air usage, static thrust and subjective factors. Note that several inexpensive full foot fins can outperform it.

so what are the recommendations for full foot fins that might outperform the bio-fins? coz the bio-fins are a little pricey. also, do i go with the split-fins or the norm... if i will be doing most of my dives in tropical waters? i have read of so many pros and cons regarding these fins and they have all got me confused over which fin to get.

Hi animian,

I won't tell you which fins you should buy, but like a few other people here I have got a number of different pairs of fins that I use for different reasons:

1. Mares Plana Avanti Tres (Closed heel)
I'll use these for long distance pool swims, and warm water snorkelling and scuba. They're quite plyable and very easy on the leg muscles, but still give lots of speed. They don't however have a great deal of acceleration (Not generally required for scuba)

2. Technisub Alas (Closed heel)
Made of a stiff black rubber graphite compound, large surface area and very powerful. Great acceleration, excellent speed. I use these for sprints in the pool, and underwater hockey. Never taken them diving, never will.

3. Cheapo JetFin copy (Open heel)
I've had these fins for over a decade. Been through a few straps, but the fins are still going strong. Lose a bit of power and control through the wetsuit boots, but I never need worry about these guys being bashed around a crowded boat, or being dragged over rocks trying to make an exit in 6" surf..

Summary?
Dunno. I've offered my viewpoints on my personal equipment. I won't offer a subjective opinion on your own gear purchases. Sorry :)

If you can, definately try a few out before buying.

Hi Froop

Thanks for your advice.

Guess what, I have got my ideal fins - Jetfins and I simply love using them :bounce:

Jetfins is negative buoyant...but if uses with the correct kick, it's ok :D

And it just goes to show you.. no matter how much designs change and "improve" over the years, a product that has survived many, many years is still one of the best around.

Froop,

Just curious why you don't dive your Ala's. Is it to save them for UWH? I picked up a pair of Ala's while on vacation in Australia to use exclusively for scuba. Just have a couple of dives on them, but they feel like mighty good scuba fins to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom