Getting Certified On Vacation, Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly, it's relative. Those thoughts are simply my way of planning way in advance what type of diver I'll be and how decisions will be weighed. :D A very macro way of planning the dive and diving the plan if you will.

I understand the theory. I also understand the futility of following such a plan.

I was certified near the end of my 48th year on earth in preparation for a single vacation to a location with good diving. My plan was to do a few dives every other year or so on another such vacation. I had absolutely no interest in doing anything other than a few dives on occasional vacations to beautiful, sun-baked isles.

Check my profile.

I understand the theory. I also understand the futility of following such a plan.

I was certified near the end of my 48th year on earth in preparation for a single vacation to a location with good diving. My plan was to do a few dives every other year or so on another such vacation. I had absolutely no interest in doing anything other than a few dives on occasional vacations to beautiful, sun-baked isles.

Check my profile.

John, my story is similar if not as ambitious as yours has become. I also was certified as I neared 49. My wife and I had a vacation planned to Belize, both jungle and beach, and it only seemed reasonable to get certified to try scuba at the beach. I actually only made 16 dives my first year being certified, 14 in Belize (2 trips) and 2 in California. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy California cold water diving very much and remember thinking if I did dive out here maybe it would only be for the 4 - 5 warm summer months. As it has turned out I've now only missed one month of California diving out of the past 40 months.

This thread can come full circle now. Completed the dives, everything went great. Would want to bring own reg/octo and computer for future diving, if possible. Can't wait to do it again. :)

Pic of me and buddy:
4571494850_aab37120cc_o.jpg

Glad you had a great time. Just remember what boulderjohn said! :)

This thread can come full circle now. Completed the dives, everything went great. Would want to bring own reg/octo and computer for future diving, if possible. Can't wait to do it again. :)

Congratulations to both of you!

Doing it again is not a concept, it's something to put into action. Spring is sprung and now is the time to establish diving as a lifelong shared activity before life gets in the way. Where did you say you call home?

Pete

Don't get me wrong, I may still be fool enough to go with the plan in some capacity regardless of what I hear but I do have the sense to adjust this plan as it concerns the safety of someone I care about.

In any case, the plan it to stick to dives no deeper than 66ft (hard limit, soft limit is 40ft) (hmm, looks like most dives advertised are from 60-80 feet so we may have to adjust this, bad idea?) and use rented equipment, ideally going through the same outfit that we obtain open water certification from. The Blue Hole will not be an option for this trip. We'll be using rented equipment, so proper weighting is a

People regularly toss around numbers like 60', 80', 100' like they're meaningless, however they really aren't.

I have a few observations that you can take for whatever you think they're worth.

• In places where the dive operator/SCUBA school has significant liability in case of an accident, the training limits are adhered to very closely.
  • Just because you have an instructor or a DM with you does not mean you are safe.
  • Just because someone is willing to take you on a dive doesn't mean you're ready for it, or that it's safe.
  • The Accidents and Incidents forum here is full of people that went on dives with a professional and were injured or died. While your DM will probably do his best to keep you safe, this isn't always possible, and in the end, you and your buddy are responsible for your own safety. If you're at a depth or location where you don't feel capable of safely ending the dive and returning to the shore or boat with just your buddy, you are on what's known as a "trust me" dive, which is just fine until something bad happens, and which point, it stops being "just fine" and becomes "Oh S***!"
  • Risk increases with depth. The 40' limit for OW checkout dives is not there because the certification agencies want to spoil your fun, it's there because popping to the surface from 30' or 40' because of anxiety, panic or "Out of Air" on a short training dive isn't tremendously dangerous if you remember to "never hold your breath." Popping to the surface from 80' or 100'' is significantly more risky.
  • Deeper dives produce Narcosis (which you'll learn about in your class), however the important point is that going deeper makes you dumber while at the same time being deeper means you need to be more aware of remaining air, depth, buddy, location and your surroundings, to name just a few.
  • Rental equipment may be absolutely amazing and fit you perfectly or it might be three sizes too small and look like it was salvaged from the Andrea Doria then buried in the back yard. If money isn't a big issue, I'd recommend purchasing your own equipment (except tanks and weights) and bringing everything with you. If money is an issue, you might want to see if anybody has an idea what the rental inventory is like at the place you'll be using. A compromise would be to rent your equipment locally (at home) so you can see what you're getting, try it in the pool to make sure everything fits and works, then bring the rental gear with you.
There's nothing wrong with doing your OW dives on vacation, however I would strongly recommend that you make sure the shop can do them while respecting the recommended training limits. You'll have more fun and be safer.

Terry

having recently being cert with Put Another Dollar In. I would have to say its totaly up to the dive master and instructor as to how well you will be trained. NEVER DIVE PAST YOUR COMFORT LEVEL. the same reason motorcycles come in a 250 cc model sure youll get made fun of but while others are spending there vacation in a dcs chamber... Or pealing themselfes off the pavement and totaling there $7000 "beginner" 650r ninja... well i got on my soap box. make sure you ask plenty of questions the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

Congratulations to both of you!

Doing it again is not a concept, it's something to put into action. Spring is sprung and now is the time to establish diving as a lifelong shared activity before life gets in the way. Where did you say you call home?

Pete

Thanks, I've contacted a LDS to see what options are next. Going to need an 'orientation' dive at the very least but would like to continue training. Live in the PNW so dives would be in the Sound, Hood Canal, etc. I think I can live with the low visibility and cold as long as there's a lot to see. I'm in it at least partly in it for the 'nature' sightings.

Oceanaut, if you are in the Seattle area, feel free to PM me either for information, or to set up some dives. It is one of my personal pleasures to take new divers out, because people were very generous to me when I was new, and because I so enjoy their enthusiasm.

Oceanaut, if you are in the Seattle area, feel free to PM me either for information, or to set up some dives. It is one of my personal pleasures to take new divers out, because people were very generous to me when I was new, and because I so enjoy their enthusiasm.

Oceanaut:

For the love of God, take TS&M up on her offer. There's nothing else you could possibly do that would improve your diving
more. You've not been around long enough to appreciate the skills, knowledge and approach that she can show you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom