Getting advanced certs with other scuba agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t3nchi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got certified for OW under SSI. But I'm moving to LA next month. I was wondering if I could get advanced certification with other scuba agencies like SDI or must I keep going under SSI?

I think you can certify further under any agency you want as long as they recognized your previous agency.
Naerly all of the better known agencies will accept certs from other well known agencies.

They are all Equal Opportunity when it comes to cash.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've heard that the agency does matter at the DM level. Is that true?

Any thoughts on selecting an agency for the DM?

Incorrect. Crossover at any level is possible. Just need to realize that the requirements may be different and there are differences. I was PADI thru DM then crossed over to YMCA. Next step looks like it'll be NAUI.

I have PADI Divemaster and NAUI Instructor certs. As long as your cert is from an internationally recognized agency...you're safe. There may be some other requirements though. For NAUI leadership dive levels, you have to either be a master scuba diver or be able to pass the test for msd. I don't think other agencies require this for leadership. So if you are a SDI Divemaster and want NAUI Instructor but never got Master Scuba Diver, you'd have to either get it or be able to pass the test for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom