Getting a job as a DM in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Australia on a working holiday visa, and I am wondering how difficult it will be to get a job as a DM and how I can make myself more competitive.

I don't have a ton of DM experience, only the internship I did when I became certified, but I have other skills like awesome social media marketing (my career until now), underwater photography (would need a bit of training, but I can use a DSLR), and years in hospitality.

I know it's competitive and shops want instructors, but how can I go about trying to get hired?

Thanks!

I assume you have Oxygen provider and current Australian First aid as these will be a prerequisite for any Australian job as well as having a current Australian Pro dive medical.

Most of the tourist spots don't pay well if at all, especially in Queensland where a DM duties are very restricted e.g. can't take Intro divers for the second dive etc. Instructors do most of the DM work.

UW photography is a good one and a lot of the photo companies want DMs with this experience. Having a marine license e/g. coxswains also very good.

Use the PADi site to find work and jusy keep hassling companies. Easier if you are in town.

I assume you have Oxygen provider and current Australian First aid as these will be a prerequisite for any Australian job as well as having a current Australian Pro dive medical.

Most of the tourist spots don't pay well if at all, especially in Queensland where a DM duties are very restricted e.g. can't take Intro divers for the second dive etc. Instructors do most of the DM work.

UW photography is a good one and a lot of the photo companies want DMs with this experience. Having a marine license e/g. coxswains also very good.

Use the PADi site to find work and jusy keep hassling companies. Easier if you are in town.

Thanks for your reply! Photo companies? There are underwater photo companies? Who or what do you take photos of?

There are photographic companies in general who will have a staff member capable of underwater photography. In addition, there are 2 shops in Cairns specifically (ScubaPix and Digital Diver) who operate retail outlets specifically for underwater camera gear. That being said, if you want a job as an underwater photographer, you need all your own camera gear, and you would have to be able to show a comprehensive portfolio of your work. They won't train you on the job, you're expected to know what you're doing already :) As already pointed out though, you're in the job market with people with instructors certs and a lot of experience.

A big question here is where are you looking to work? Australia id a huge country with dive shops all around the cot pretty much. Any idea of where you want to go? I am assuming the GBR but that may not be the best spot for work. May get more with local companies supporting local dive clubs etc. e.g. along the south coast

If you are looking at places like Cairns or major tourist spots, and you are looking at doing the under water photography then you will need to show some experience. They supply all the equipment and train you on it. With past experience its not hard. Many do commission based wages though.

I don't even care where in Australia I work, as long as I can work as a DM. My plan was to go to Cairns just because it's more touristy with maybe more opportunity, but I am open to anything. Where in the south would you recommend? Do you think it's worth talking up any of my other skills like social media marketing?

Every second person you see on the street in Cairns is a DM or instructor. Yes, it's the main hub of the dive industry, but it's also overflowing with people on working holiday visas just like you looking for dive industry work. Lots of them are working as baristas and cafe staff. You might get lucky, but you need to be prepared to find alternative hospitality work.

While the dive industry might not be so big elsewhere, you might have more luck with finding some work. Less competition for jobs. I live a few hours drive south of Cairns, and my LDS is currently looking for a senior instructor. There is dive work around, but you may find it hard without an instructors cert.

You will need at least the certifications I outlined previously. Any additional skills you have sell it to the shop e.g sales experience, marine licences (very good to have). Constantly call the shops so they get to know you and check back often. Use the PADI employment site as I suggested above as there may be something on there. Lastly don't give up but also don't concentrate on the tourist centres, look at all local dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom