Getting a bit bored with Bonaire.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
I know - it IS wonderful but we have been there a lot and we need a change. Trouble is we really don't like boat diving so where else in the Caribbean do you shore diving fans go?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham,
David and I hail from Goffstown. We moved to Curacao 6 years ago. He's back in the Granite state ice climbing and skiing although it was so warm this week he was kayaking. We like the shore diving in Curacao. Feel free to email us for more insights. David also has miles of single track MTB trails at the west end of the island.
Best fishes, Sunshine
curacaosunshine@gmail.com

I know - it IS wonderful but we have been there a lot and we need a change. Trouble is we really don't like boat diving so where else in the Caribbean do you shore diving fans go?

Thanks

Graham

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Curacao is a great option.

:d

I'm not a big fan of boat diving either. We went to Grand Cayman last summer and did nothing but shore diving and never got bored. We're going back in April. Easy shore diving.

Thanks Sunshine,
I would not mind if we were having a real winter but this freeze thaw cycle is a bit of a drag. It will make the ice 'interesting' (my old hobby). We will be in touch if we decide on Curacao but I'm inclined to look for something a little more different to Bonaire in the water this time.

Graham

Hi Graham,
David and I hail from Goffstown. We moved to Curacao 6 years ago. He's back in the Granite state ice climbing and skiing although it was so warm this week he was kayaking. We like the shore diving in Curacao. Feel free to email us for more insights. David also has miles of single track MTB trails at the west end of the island.
Best fishes, Sunshine
curacaosunshine@gmail.com

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 09:39 PM ----------

Lopez,
That is encouraging. flights are cheaper as well. OK if I PM you for more details?

Graham

I'm not a big fan of boat diving either. We went to Grand Cayman last summer and did nothing but shore diving and never got bored. We're going back in April. Easy shore diving.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 09:43 PM ----------

Thanks Steve,
I looked there but it is pretty thin for most places. This looks like a great idea that is sufferning from a lack of diver support to upload data. Perhaps they should migrate to Scubaboard. I have always felt there should be a shore diving sub-forum.

Curaco, Grand Cayman, St Croix, Aruba, maybe Roatan.

ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community! lists a few other options.

Thanks

Graham
I assume you mean "day boats" when you refer to boat diving.

Have you considered a live aboard? They are very different from day boats. Maybe a live aboard will give you something different?

I, too, love Bonaire and have wondered about other locations.

Roatan has a resort called CocoView, which seems to have a reputable shore dive out to the wreck of the Prince Albert, and this dive is apparently usually available, whereas some other site had a shore dive that was more weather dependent. Problem is, I hear CocoView often books up well in advance.

People post about shore diving the Cayman islands; haven't done that myself.

People have posted about shore diving some in Cozumel, like at the Scuba Club Cozumel resort, but if I understood correctly, if your standard of comparison is Bonaire, it will be lacking for you (more a supplement to boat diving, not a reason to go there for only shore diving).

Richard.

Curacao won't be much different than Bonaire. Honestly, shore diving (and diving in general) in the Caribbean is largely underwhelming. Look at Bali, Sipadan, Lembeh and other places around Indonesia/Malaysia. For ~2-3 days additional vacation time (to account for travel) and roughly the same money you can have a far superior shore diving experience with more luxury than you're afforded in the western hemisphere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom