German diver attacked by shark - Isla del Coco, Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a 2/side question! It is clear that no one wants to lose a client, but ..... I think it is necessary to strictly follow the safety rules, otherwise they just close the direction and that's it. Or when divers are lost because of their non-observance of safety rules, and then the relatives drag the company around the courts and as a result, they lose not 5,000 -). Here in the Maldives on serious dive sites and in normal dive centers, if a person breaks the rules - he is warned for the first time, from the second time - he no longer dives, sometimes without refund of payment. And all this is reported in advance, plus the person signs the relevant documents. This is company policy.

If my diver DOES NOT WANT TO LISTEN for a briefing - this means that he simply does not dive). And that's all. Two people are responsible for everything that happens on the ship and under the water - the instructor and the captain. And not the owner of the diving center (well, not first of all). and the first will go to prison or go to court - this is the instructor and the captain. Therefore, for me, safety comes first. do not swear at anyone on the ship - all information is given in advance-)

When we went to Cocos, we had amazing shark encounters as long as no one was breathing - LOL. A hammerhead would come along nice and relaxed but took off "scared" when I had to finally exhale!

We saw a tigers wayyyyyy off in the distance and they never stuck around.

Until last year with the woman being killed, I never heard of any shark attacks in Cocos! Wonder what is really going on.
When we went, there was no shark baiting or feeding. Has anything changed? Are they feeding sharks now or anything new going on?

here are no sharks fed. and even if fed, this is not the reason. Fiji is fed bulls - not a single incident. No one will say exactly what the reason. My personal opinion is global warming and human intervention. and once again - these are WILD ANIMALS in their natural habitat. 1,000 times everything is fine, 1001 is not very.

When we went to Cocos, we had amazing shark encounters as long as no one was breathing - LOL. A hammerhead would come along nice and relaxed but took off "scared" when I had to finally exhale!.....

Ain’t that the truth!

Those hammerheads are certainly very shy fish. To get a close encounter with them, we not only had to hold exhaling bubbles as they were approaching, but also to stay still & to use no video light. I even hide under a rock ledge. As a result, I got pretty decent shots of them, as shown here:

here are no sharks fed. and even if fed, this is not the reason. Fiji is fed bulls - not a single incident. No one will say exactly what the reason. My personal opinion is global warming and human intervention. and once again - these are WILD ANIMALS in their natural habitat. 1,000 times everything is fine, 1001 is not very.

I think the key circumstance in the two Cocos incidents discussed here is that the divers attacked were isolated from the herd. My experience with tigers is that if one takes an interest in you, don't turn your back and don't be hesitant to defend your personal space. They are wild, opportunistic predators and that has to be kept in mind.

As an aside, I did Guadalupe Island a few weeks ago and while awesome, I really did find myself hankering to get out of the cage. It made me think about how part of the allure shark diving holds for me is that I'm coming onto their turf and have to play by their rules. Being tethered behind bars took some of that away ... granted, I also knew it would have been pretty bloody stupid to get out since at points we had six white sharks around and even in clear viz they were pretty good at coming up behind us undetected.

I think the key circumstance in the two Cocos incidents discussed here is that the divers attacked were isolated from the herd. My experience with tigers is that if one takes an interest in you, don't turn your back and don't be hesitant to defend your personal space. They are wild, opportunistic predators and that has to be kept in mind.

As an aside, I did Guadalupe Island a few weeks ago and while awesome, I really did find myself hankering to get out of the cage. It made me think about how part of the allure shark diving holds for me is that I'm coming onto their turf and have to play by their rules. Being tethered behind bars took some of that away ... granted, I also knew it would have been pretty bloody stupid to get out since at points we had six white sharks around and even in clear viz they were pretty good at coming up behind us undetected.

True)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom