Georgia dive flag laws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokn'

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I googled around and couldn't find any anywhere. Anyone have some info on what the GA law says?

Diver-Down Flag - Georgia Boating License Laws and Safety Guide

ga_handbook_web_logo.jpg

Diver-Down Flags

* Scuba divers or snorkelers must display a diver-down flag that marks the diving area.
* Vessels must remain at least 100 feet away from the person in the water.
* Two types of flags are used to indicate diving activity.

Rectangular red flag with white diagonal stripe
Blue and white vertically striped flag​

Divers Flag
flag_diver.jpg

A rectangular red flag, at least 15" x 15", with a white diagonal stripe is required on state waters.

Alfa Flag
flag_alpha.jpg

A blue and white International Code Flag A (or Alfa flag) is required on vessels on federally controlled waters.

Question answered, thanx mike_s!

You will definitely want a flag diving in Clarks Hill Lake or the River. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineer folk do hand out tickets. I know of two folks who forgot their flag and decided to do the dive anyway. Their ticket was $150.

You will definitely want a flag diving in Clarks Hill Lake or the River. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineer folk do hand out tickets. I know of two folks who forgot their flag and decided to do the dive anyway. Their ticket was $150.

Wow, duly noted! I planned on it, I just wanted to make sure the specifics. When you guys drift the river do you just have one flag per group?

Wow, duly noted! I planned on it, I just wanted to make sure the specifics. When you guys drift the river do you just have one flag per group?

It depends on several factors. When the vis is good 4 divers can usually dive together in a group. Lower vis - each buddy team needs one. Vis has been very good and we have been diving easily in groups of 4. Other factors that impact the need for more than just one flag:
1. If you have divers wearing different amounts of exposure protection you may want to have more than 1 flag so that those who "chill" early can safely travel back to the ramp while the rest finish their dive.
2. You may want more than one flag if you are diving with folks whose SAC rates are significantly different or who have tanks of different capacities (eg. !L 80 and Steel 120s)

Oh, if you do not have a flag yet - I would recommend the type of flag with the small "ball" type of flotation rather than the big innertube type floats. The innertube types create more drag and you will find them tiring covering much distance at the lake.

It depends on several factors. When the vis is good 4 divers can usually dive together in a group. Lower vis - each buddy team needs one. Vis has been very good and we have been diving easily in groups of 4. Other factors that impact the need for more than just one flag:
1. If you have divers wearing different amounts of exposure protection you may want to have more than 1 flag so that those who "chill" early can safely travel back to the ramp while the rest finish their dive.
2. You may want more than one flag if you are diving with folks whose SAC rates are significantly different or who have tanks of different capacities (eg. !L 80 and Steel 120s)

Oh, if you do not have a flag yet - I would recommend the type of flag with the small "ball" type of flotation rather than the big innertube type floats. The innertube types create more drag and you will find them tiring covering much distance at the lake.

Thanx, does neptune have these?

There are many very important reasons for flying a dive flag. I am not going to try to list them here.

I just wanted to share an experience we had a few years ago.

The flag does not guarantee that you, the diver, will not be hit by a boat. That is exactly what happened, here, few years ago. We had a diver hit by a boat. The injuries resulted in his death. They WERE flying a dive flag.

If they had NOT been flying a dive flag I am sure the responsible party and resulting legal damages would have been considerably different.

I was not diving that day but it really drove home to me personally how very important it is to fly your dive flag.

Lee, chilling and powerful story.

diveprof, thanx! I'll pick one up tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom