Genesis The Source Computer Battery Replacement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Sherwood The Source is an older version and does not have user replaceable batteries. That is why I sent it to Sherwood.

I still own one of the original Sherwood Source computers (not user friendly) and have been sending it to the following dive shop in Maryland. They charge $30 plus shipping up and back. Not sure what Sherwood charges. I just bought the Genesis Source off ebay because it is user friendly. I will probably sell the Sherwood. Thanks for the earlier info though. I contacted Jay and he sent me some good info. Thanks again.

Dive Computer Battery

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 12:52 AM ----------

Frxguy:

Your picture prove me wrong ..... so, after all, the elusive Genesis The Source does exist!!

But let mention a couple things:

a) Genesis and Sherwood are declared as sister companies in the Genesis web site (which by the way, is very unfriendly to download manuals)
b) Your Genesis The Source looks to me identical to the Sherwood The Source, excepts that says Genesis instead of Sherwood.
c) Since the Sherwood The Source uses also two CR2032 batteries and requires a B023 O ring, I am pretty confident that the aforementioned Oring (B023) also fits your Genesis.

I was thinking the same thing. Battery/o-ring replacement kits are still available for the Sherwood Source for around 10 to 12 bucks. At that price I should, at least, buy a few cause they aren't going to be around forever. Thanks for the o-ring number. That will come in handy.

It is not necessary to replace the o ring with every battery change. My somewhat similar oceanic datamax sport is still on its original o ring and lube. I check it prior to every dive trip and it is still in great shape. Fully pliable and no deformation.

I remove the batteries after each trip and then re-insert them at the start of the next trip. So the battery door gets opened twice every dive trip. That's about 4 times a year for the last 18 years.

thanks for the advice, i am going to do that with mine soon. any trouble with powering up or resetting once you replace the battery?

So, how do you crack this thing open to get to the battery and do you need special tools? I was once charged $100, yes, $100 to replace the battery. I like the device but don't want to get taken advantage of again. That dive shop, in Houston, is no longer open. Go figure. Anyway, I see the 3 holes but is there something I am missing?

Contact Scuba Toys, they referred me to the Sherwood distributor Did it for $30

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 09:09 PM ----------

OK I just looked at my old message. It was Jay Skip at PSI 770-449-4141 ex 124 it was $45 and included shipping and a pressure test.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 09:09 PM ----------

Oops Jay Skop

So, how do you crack this thing open to get to the battery and do you need special tools? I was once charged $100, yes, $100 to replace the battery. I like the device but don't want to get taken advantage of again. That dive shop, in Houston, is no longer open. Go figure. Anyway, I see the 3 holes but is there something I am missing?
I believe the 3 holes are over the pressure sensor.

If you have a user replaceable battery model, then there will be a large circular cover with a coin slot in it. Put a quarter in the slot and turn counter clockwise to open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom