Genesis The Source Computer Battery Replacement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxrguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an old Genesis "The Source" dive computer. I know that battery kits are no available for this computer anymore but I can still take it to a LDS and they will replace the batteries and o-ring if needed. The batteries are easy enough to get (Energizer - CR2032) but if the LDS can get an o-ring I should be able to as well. So far as I can tell this must be a well kept secret though as I cannot get anyone to own up to the o-ring size. I would like to know if there are battery replacement kits available for other models that will interchange (Genesis ReSource/Sherwood Source) or at least what size is the o-ring so I can just go to Ace Hardware and buy one.

I had one that I sent to the Sherwood US distributor (PSI-SCUBA) two years ago Jay Skop <jskop@psi-scuba.com>;770-449-4141 x 124 he replaced the battery and did Pot test on it. I got his info from scubatoys.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2013 at 01:02 AM ----------

I would like to sell my THE SOURCE its in a homemade bungee mount and also comes with a wrist strap boot $60 +shipping

I had one that I sent to the Sherwood US distributor (PSI-SCUBA) two years ago Jay Skop <jskop@psi-scuba.com>;770-449-4141 x 124 he replaced the battery and did Pot test on it. I got his info from scubatoys.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2013 at 01:02 AM ----------

I would like to sell my THE SOURCE its in a homemade bungee mount and also comes with a wrist strap boot $60 +shipping

Thank you...

I am afraid there is no Genesis "The Source" dive computer. I believe that you either ment a Genesis "Resource" or a Sherwood "The Source" dive computer. If is a Genesis Resource (which is the only one of the two that uses 2xCR2032 batteries), I believe the Oring is a B023, or 1/16" cs x 1 and 1/16" ID.

I have an old Genesis "The Source" dive computer. I know that battery kits are no available for this computer anymore but I can still take it to a LDS and they will replace the batteries and o-ring if needed. The batteries are easy enough to get (Energizer - CR2032) but if the LDS can get an o-ring I should be able to as well. So far as I can tell this must be a well kept secret though as I cannot get anyone to own up to the o-ring size. I would like to know if there are battery replacement kits available for other models that will interchange (Genesis ReSource/Sherwood Source) or at least what size is the o-ring so I can just go to Ace Hardware and buy one.

I am afraid there is no Genesis "The Source" dive computer. I believe that you either ment a Genesis "Resource" or a Sherwood "The Source" dive computer. If is a Genesis Resource (which is the only one of the two that uses 2xCR2032 batteries), I believe the Oring is a B023, or 1/16" cs x 1 and 1/16" ID.

Genesis The Source - 2.jpg

I was told by the Genesis rep that neither the ReSource or the Resource Pro o-rings are interchangeable. He wouldn't say if the Sherwood Source's o-ring would work though. I'm betting it might and they can still be had. Thank you for your reply though.

Oceanic VEO 100 o ring works. Probably any of the puck types would.

Frxguy:

Your picture prove me wrong ..... so, after all, the elusive Genesis The Source does exist!!

But let me mention a couple things:

a) Genesis and Sherwood are declared as sister companies in the Genesis web site (which by the way, is very unfriendly to download manuals)
b) Your Genesis The Source looks to me identical to the Sherwood The Source, excepts that says Genesis instead of Sherwood.
c) Since the Sherwood The Source uses also two CR2032 batteries and requires a B023 O ring, I am pretty confident that the aforementioned Oring (B023) also fits your Genesis.

Last edited:
Thank you...

My Sherwood The Source is an older version and does not have user replaceable batteries. That is why I sent it to Sherwood.

Smorneau:

Yes, there are two models of Sherwood The Source and you have the older version. Just in case you are interested, I believe your computer is identical to the Old Oceanic Datamax model (which is also supposedly non user replaceable battery) and uses a 1/2 AA 3.6V battery. Incidentally, there is video on youtube showing how to replace this battery.

Last edited:
It is not necessary to replace the o ring with every battery change. My somewhat similar oceanic datamax sport is still on its original o ring and lube. I check it prior to every dive trip and it is still in great shape. Fully pliable and no deformation.

I remove the batteries after each trip and then re-insert them at the start of the next trip. So the battery door gets opened twice every dive trip. That's about 4 times a year for the last 18 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom