Generic Little Cayman Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they offer a special like that it's probably not something you're going to see a year in advance. I think their specials tend to be for the fall but don't recall how early I've seen them.

We're headed back to LCBR for the third time in October.

I'm very happy to see some negative comments, maybe that will keep it from booking full before we have a chance; we cut it a little close this time. The reviews I've seen are so generally positive I've been concerned there's not going to be enough LCBR to go around.

Not everyone wants the same dive trip, and there really is nothing wrong with that, no sarcasm at all intended. Partystar, I hope you find the resort that makes you happy, and that you've managed to convince some others to pass on LCBR.

My trip report from 2011, which has a link to the 2009 report (We've been alternating with Bonaire for several years):
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ca...ttle-cayman-beach-resort-10-5-10-13-11-a.html

What's more exciting than the picture you posted. A group of garden eels and a conch. Pretty cool, I could watch those all day. Can't wait to get back.
Thanks for the picture. Cheers

Betty, don't know what you are talking about. It sounds like you have never been to LCBR. There is no shore diving. You can do LCBR for under @2000 all inclusive which is not a bargain but is reasonable considering the quality of the diving, boats, resort, rooms and the food. Mexico is cheaper, but you are comparing apples and oranges.

For anyone else reading this thread who has not been to little cayman, I would recommend that you read the other threads and reviews before making a decision on whether to dive Little Cayman. I was only there once for a long weekend. Stayed at Paradise Villas and dove with Conch Club Divers. We loved the small island vibe, its beauty, the people and especially the diving. We will certainly be back. We did not stay at LCBR but walked through the property each day for diving. I would consider staying at LCBR especially on a special but we also enjoyed PV and CCD. There are other places to stay as well. I just can't image crossing LC and Bloody Bay wall of your list based upon this or any one thread or review. You may be missing a very special trip and dive experience.

Doctorfish: No I have not been to LCBR as I stated. When I tried it was about $2250/person which was acceptable but then when I tried to book 7 months in advance I was told that "web special" was sold out and it would be $2500/person. Too much money especially when there is no shore diving.

The comment I made about shore diving was a negative against SCC and groups and said it wouldn't be a problem at LCBR because there is no shore diving; but I still don't like groups in general when they takeover the whole place.

We still might try LBCR once we move to Cozumel in 2014. It will depend on how hard it is to get there.

Betty

You can do LCBR for much less than $2500. I was there in May for $1900 per person all in including 3 dives per day.There are always summer and fall specials as well. Another option would be to get together a group of 6 and stay at Conch Club condo next store and dive with Conch Divers. There are some less expensive condo options down the road as well, still on the ocean with pools. I've been to LCBR several times when there were large groups but never felt excluded or that they took over the whole place. In my opinion, one of the best dive resorts in the Caribbean, well worth the cost. Comparators would be resorts like Turniffe Island Resort, Southern Cross Club or Blackbird Key. They are in the same price range as LCBR or higher.

From a couple of posts the issues of affability of other guests (e.g.: whether they're open to 'small talk' or tend to ignore outsiders) and groups 'taking over' (whatever specifics that referred to) came up.

Reminds me of a thread asking about the affability factor of Buddy Dive vs. somewhere else, if memory serves. There's no stock answer to give. Who else is there that week? How likeable are you?

The resorts don't dictate the 'friendliness' of their customer base, and I suspect how approachable/engageable others are varies from week to week. It also depends to some extent on you and how you approach people. What charms and engages one person may put off another. This brings to mind discussions of cultural differences - north vs. south (USA), varied countries, etc...

I can imagine that groups could sort of 'tie up' limited resources (like a favored dive boat with limited space) simply by coming together and networking, but I'm not sure how you'd avoid that.

My point is, I doubt it's fair to judge a dive resort by whether other customers were chatty/friendly. As to groups, well, I'm assuming that's a potential issue at any mainstream destination.

Richard.

Well said Richard. Like many other things in life, with affability, what you put in is often what you get out. This thread started with a negative review and a litany of complaints. If I was on a dive trip and one person was constantly negative, I'd try to keep my distance from them for the rest of the trip.

As others have pointed out, resorts have no control over how their guests treat each other. Beyond that, it sounds like the OP just had different expectations than what LCBR could provide. Expecting 5 star accommodations, food, and service at a 40 room dive resort on a very small island for $2k or less is unrealistic. At LCBR you get very good service (for a dive resort), very good food (for an all inclusive diven resort), and the best dive operation I have ever been with. If the OP found the diving to be boring, I suspect that they were used to tightly guided dives with a DM pointing out what to look for. If you are not used to the freedom of not diving with a group and don't know how to look for things, I could see where one might be a bit lost and not feel like they had seen much.

in any case, thanks to the OP for an honest opinion of their experience...I have had a very different experience on my trips to LCBR, and will be going back in September (for about $1350 pp)...but I guess not everybody will love every place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom