General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we move this away from the cave diving section? It has nothing to do with cave diving at this point...

Looks more like a promotional spot for deepswims videos now :shakehead:

Can we move this away from the cave diving section? It has nothing to do with cave diving at this point...

Ufcdiver, I have always wondered about requests like this. I am not attempting to impune you in any way, I am just curious. How is this thread detracting from the cave diving forum. If members are intrested in the thread and still actively posting to it, why should it be moved? Is a certain ammount of bandwidth allocated to each forum on Scubaboard. If someone feels a thread has taken a direction that is no longer usefull or interesting, they don't have to read it. Why does it matter to you that this discussinon is taking place in this forum?

Ufcdiver, I have always wondered about requests like this. I am not attempting to impune you in any way, I am just curious. How is this thread detracting from the cave diving forum. If members are intrested in the thread and still actively posting to it, why should it be moved? Is a certain ammount of bandwidth allocated to each forum on Scubaboard. If someone feels a thread has taken a direction that is no longer usefull or interesting, they don't have to read it. Why does it matter to you that this discussinon is taking place in this forum?

I say move it because the missing diver was NOT a cave diver. It has nothing to do with cave diving.

I say move it because the missing diver was NOT a cave diver. It has nothing to do with cave diving.

He wasn't a trained cave diver but it seems likely that he was cave diving.

He wasn't a trained cave diver but it seems likely that he was cave diving.

Doesn't make him a Cave Diver. that's why IMHO it should not be associated with those of us who are trained.

I don't know what was in his deco tanks, but he wasn't trained or certified for anything over 40%. So, unless he drove to High Springs, he very likely did not get anything over 40% filled unless he had access to the banks in the Destin shop and was able to fill his own tanks.

The EOL is about 1500' back. At best with a 30 minute penetration and 30 minute exit, he would have had 2 hours of deco on 40%, 5.5 hours on air. That's only 6 AL80s for someone with an RMV of .6. But it's a long time to spend in 68 degree water in a dry suit, never mind a wet suit!

They were analyzed on the scene, atleast the two "deco" bottles; for pressure and O2 content. Cave divers analyzed them with the officers present to record the information. I saw them analyze those two tanks, I did NOT see them analyze the third tank that was staged a bit into the cave(which was the only one with a regulator on it).

So if the 'deco" tanks contained air he did not have anywhere near enough gas to deco on (assuming he switched regs out OK) If they contained 32% he MIGHT have had enough gas IF the dive went smoothly.
I assume he was not carrying extra tanks with him through a no mount restriction......

Doesn't add up to me.

I can't see any other new posts in this area without clicking into the forum. This thread being so active smothers the others. Furthermore, it's directly related to "Accidents and Incidents", so anyone looking for the thread will have a hard time finding it.

Zinc, AFAIK, there were no regs on the tanks. Maybe he was planning on doing reg swaps underwater.

That's a great idea.Will save me a fortune on regs! :shakehead:

Unless . . . [speculation] . . . he left his crappy stuff down there with an old reg because he was staging a disappearance . . . as in, he didn't want to leave his 'good stuff'. [/speculation]

Keep this theard alive. It makes good reading. Also has convinced me not to cave dive.

I am learning a lot from the discussion. :thumb:

I am learning a lot from the discussion. :thumb:

I don't really care where it gets read, but the good reading AND education would continue if it were relocated to a spot that might be deemed more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom