General Belize question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know pounds, sorry. The national currency is the Belize dollar. $2BZ = $1US. The USD is widely accepted and often preferred.

Rough costs are hard to answer as you can spend a lot by staying at a resort or very little by staying in a youth hostel. My guess is your budget is somewhere between the two.

I would budget $100/night hotel but be pleasantly surprised by the lower rates in the "slow" season if that's when you go. Groceries are limited and expensive but cheaper than they are in Hawaii. Good restaurants will probably run about $25 - $30 and up for dinner per person, but you can find plenty of hole in the wall type places and get a good meal for $10.

Things change considerably if you go out in the countryside. One of my favorite things to do when I'm travelling through is stop off at a house with a "food" sign. Usually sit on the front porch and eat a delicious home cooked meal of stewed chicken, rice and beans washed down with ice tea. Typically $5.
This man knows Belize, follow his advice. :thumb:

On dollars and dollars, US cash spends everywhere. Credit cards work at some places, but not for that $5 plate of stew chicken, rice and beans....

Certainly handy to know, so i may as well just exchange for US Dollars and use the one currency. I tend to use cash more often than card anyway, and the countryside is certainly somewhere we would want to head to as it will not be a strictly diving only holiday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom