Gene In Male Fish Lures Females Into Sex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred R.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
As those of you who know me may realize, I spend my relaxing time reading science news. Many may think this is boring, but for the most part I find all aspects of science to be somewhere between fascinating and amusing.

This morning, while following a link on the extinction of freshwater fish, I came across this headline;

Oh my, genetics and sex in one headline, you know I had to follow that link. The first sentence of the article was precious;

“A gene has been found in male cichlid fish that evolved to lure female fish so that male cichlids can deposit sperm in the females' mouths.”

Wow! Humans have to rely on Porches, hundred dollar bills or a lot of pleading and begging for that!

Approximately 1440 species of African Cichlid actually have a gene whose sole purpose is to get females of the species to open their mouths at the correct position of the male to get a mouthful of goo. Humans are supposed to be so smart, why didn’t we think of that?

For anyone who is interested in the actual article;

Approximately 1440 species of African Cichlid actually have a gene whose sole purpose is to get females of the species to open their mouths at the correct position of the male to get a mouthful of goo. Humans are supposed to be so smart, why didn’t we think of that?
We did ... and not coincidentally there are at least that many variations of alcoholic beverages that were created to achieve the same thing ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Show some restraint, Dr. Bill... you are so NOT going there!

WOW! It took over an hour for Dr. Bill to find this thread...he is slipping!!

but it just goes to show, all men are the same, doesn't matter the species!

:rofl3:
:rofl3: :rofl3:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

sorry to get all nerdy, but how does this possibly help with reproduction?

sorry to get all nerdy, but how does this possibly help with reproduction?

I don't think that's the point...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom