Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a countdown...it shows how much surface time you've accumulated since you surfaced upon pressing the 'time' button.

Cheers.

-J.-

Countdown? It let's you know how long you've been on the surface. It also gives a warning about whether you've been out long enough not to have your NDL cut on the next dive. Otherwise, there's really no such thing as a countdown.

I thought it might have a countdown to know when you can get back in the water or beep or something like that

tjsdive:
I thought it might have a countdown to know when you can get back in the water or beep or something like that

========================================

I dunno ...that might be crossing a sacred boundry. I could imagine someone getting bent and then blaming their Gekko for indicating it was OK to make the dive. Remember, dive computers are only using "models" and should not be interpreted as being ABSOLUTE in terms of total safety. YOU the dive still has to make the decision.

tjsdive:

Surface decompression doesn't work like that. The computer doesn't know what your next dive will look like.

alright i gotcha i just had heard from somone that you could completely rule out using your tables when you get a computer b/c it does it for you. So not true?

You don't need to use tables when using a computer. (But you should understand them, and your computer, well.) Can you explain why you think you need a "countdown", maybe then someone can explain better. What would the countdown be to?

Your computer will show you how long your surface interval has been, and allow you to look up how much NDL you would have at various depths on your next dive for your current N2 loading status. This is pretty much equivalent to figuring out your pressure group and then looking up the time you would have on the table.

It is pretty common between a couple of average rec dives for people to use some rule of thumb, like they'll go back in when their computer says they will have X min @Y ft. Or often people will just figure on waiting 45min, or 60, or whatever number seems good for what they're doing that day. You will quickly develop a basic feel for times and things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom