Geezer Freediving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a freediver when young.
Never went really deep, 25 meters max, despite my capabality in static apnea, in the pool, was beyond 4 minutes.
I gave up and moved to scuba after a couple of hypoxic syncopes while training in the pool.
They were harmless, thanks to immediate resuscitation, but it was enough for warning me about the dangers. The same syncope in the sea could have been deadly....
I was 20 when I gave up.
Albeit not practicising freediving in the sea anymore, I continued sometime to test my apnea capabilities in the swimming pool.
My initial static apnea of 4 minutes reduced progressively with my age. Now I am 61 and I cannot last more than 90 seconds.
Even more dramatic is the loss of performance in dynamic apnea (swimming horizontally).
With long freediving fins, or monofin, at 20 years I was around 100 meters, now I barely reach 25 meters.
With no fins and mask (frog style) I was capable of 50 meters, and now I resurface just after half of the pool, so something as 15 meters.
Probably if I restart training for several months I could recover part of my jouvenile performances, but in no way I will exceed half of what I was capable.
So, what "deep" freediving are we talking about? 10 meters for 30 seconds? That is just snorkeling...
I hope you are more fit than me, but really, if you want to dive deep, get a air-filled twin cylinder, and hey, despite my age, I can yet dive down to 50 meters...

Back
Top Bottom