gearing up for fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Some friends and I are getting kitted up to take a fundies class. There has been some concern that having all the required gear will be too costly right up front so I was wondering, what happens if you show up for class without all the good DIR stuff? Would it be possible to pass the course and take a slow approach to DIR kit or wait on the course until all the gear is in place?

wedivebc:
Some friends and I are getting kitted up to take a fundies class. There has been some concern that having all the required gear will be too costly right up front so I was wondering, what happens if you show up for class without all the good DIR stuff? Would it be possible to pass the course and take a slow approach to DIR kit or wait on the course until all the gear is in place?
The easiest way is to check directly with your instructor. Sometimes he/she can borrow you a missing piece of the equipment, sometimes some things can be shared among team, some things are not necessary for fundies class.

wedivebc:

Hi Dave,

Check with Joe, he used to have several sets of gear that he would rent for his classes...I'm ot sure of the price right now. All you (or the student) would need was exposure protection, weights, tanks and a mask.

Just some quick words of encouragement...

As the others noted- - contact your instructor he/she will of of huge assistance on what is required for the class.

I was faced with similar delima prior to class and was amazed at how much advise and help came to me before, during and after the class. Never pushing to "must have" (as some web slingers make it seem) and everything had a reason for "why" it was being encouraged. There were a few pieces that were required but that was "easy" compared to getting the entire list of gear.

Here we are ~4 months after class and though I'm still not 100% DIR equiped, the skills have changed multi-fold and that is the important thing, at least in my opinion!

Have fun!

wedivebc:

Thanks for asking this question, because I've been wondering the same thing.

TSandM:
Thanks for asking this question, because I've been wondering the same thing.

Are you going to take DIRF? I enjoyed reading your journal very much, and I imagine my re-intro to SCUBA will mirror your certification dives! :)

I am going to try to take DIRF in the early spring. Fortunately, I am able to buy most of my gear now. In fact, all I am missing is the light and a bottom timer. I can correct the timer next week, but the light will have to wait!

You don't need a can light to take fundies.

If the weight it brings to the table is an issue that can be resolved otherwise..., and if you already have the cannister light to route your hose, sweet - but if you don't, no worries.

In his book "Doing It Right: Fundamentals of Better Diving" Jarrod Jablonski noted that there were environments (e.g. warm, tropical, 100'+ vis) where cannister lights were not commonly carried, and indicated that in such circumstances either a pouch or a knife sheath could be used to route the hose beneath. When I took fundies at 5th D I didn't have a can light. My instructor (Sonya Tittle, back in the day) eyed my knife sheath with some initial skepticism, but when I showed her the text in the book she got Jarrod on the phone that evening and it was an interesting conversation. Jarrod endorsed my using the knife sheath on the right waist to route the hose (until I could afford a can light!)

Bottom line is that you don't need a can light to take fundies... so don't sweat it.
The focus is largely on the skills you need to develop, using a pouch or a knife sheath that allows you to route the hose properly will do the trick for the class. (You'll want a can light eventually for where you're diving, however... :D )
Doc

Doc Intrepid:
You don't need a can light to take fundies.

I didn't think I did.

If the weight it brings to the table is an issue that can be resolved otherwise...

Yea, not too worried about the weight yet. Lead is a lot cheaper than a can light!

The focus is largely on the skills you need to develop

Yea, I don't have these either, but I have a feeling the can light will be easier to get!

using a pouch or a knife sheath that allows you to route the hose properly will do the trick for the class.

Well, I hope they won't frown on my 5ft hose routed under my arm and wrapped. If I have to use a 7ft, then I'll just use a mask pocket or something.

(You'll want a can light eventually for where you're diving, however... :D )
Doc

Where I'm diving? You think I need a can light in the pool? :D

Doc is spot-on. One of the pictures in JJ's book shows a diver using a Halcyon pouch as a "hose holder" (would that be the technical or slang term?
03.gif
) in lieu of a canister light.

For someone like Perrone who is diving in near optimal conditions (can you feel the jealousy?
04.gif
), a can light isn't of utmost importance. For the rest of us suckers who dive in cold, dark, cold, low-viz (did I mention cold?) waters, having a good HID light is more of a priority.

*Edit - smilies are "off"

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom