Gear Tags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobyDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wanting to put my name on some of my gear and ended up ordering a dozen small circular plastic tags from a pet supply site. Total cost was under $30, and they do job the job nicely.

BC, Regs, Lights and gear bags are now adorned with the tags containing my name, address and phone. Didn't find anything on a search, so I thought I'd share the idea.

Dave

For situations involving 'gear-disorganization' on the boat, etc., this sounds innovative.

Should your gear get boosted, however, the thieves will no doubt find it as easy to remove the tags as it was for you to affix them. Then its as good as not marked.

Consider marking your gear in a manner designed to be more resistant to people who think they need it worse than you do. Small paint marks on the inside of your second stage (not your name necessarily - a letter, number, or symbol that has significance to you will work). Your ssn or initials engraved on the plastic backplate of your BC beneath the nylon portion of your bladder cover (borrow the engraver tool for free from your local police crimestoppers department). That sort of thing.

More than one person on this board has had their gear stolen. There is an active thread on this topic at the moment. The only way you have a chance of getting it back is if it's marked in a way that the badguys won't (a) notice it; or (b) be able to remove it.

But, good idea nonetheless!

Doc

I used a paint marker to put a big "A" for Allen on my fins and BC weight pockets to make it easier to pick them out of the gear pile on a boat.

After a couple people joked "That's A for Charlie, right?", it became evident that I should have put on a big "C".

Several buddies have also commented that the bright white "A" marking on my fins really helps in keeping buddies sorted out while diving in a group.

I went to Wal-Mart when I got my first BC and engraved a brass tag on the vending machine style engraver in the pet section. The big rectangle tag has lots of room:
Name _________________
Passport # ########### Dive Cert ###########
DAN 1-800-######## #############

Four years of salt and freshwater have left it just like the day I bought it for a few bucks.

I zip tied this to my BC, not to keep it from getting stolen, but to make it easy to pick out of a pile on a cattle boat. I use 2 different colored hose protectors on my regs for the same reason. I can just glance at a row of geard up tanks and spot mine. (on those trips where they spoil you and carry all you gear to the boat and set it up)

If I ever wash up somewhere, it might be handy as well. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom