Gear recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcdownunder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey, y'all...
New to Scubaboard and new Down Under, so want to buy some new gear (BCD; reg; wetsuit(s); and computer) and thought I could get some ideas from ScubaBoard.
I don't want to break the bank, just buy some dependable gear for general rec diving on the Great Barrier Reef (GBR).
Any good suggestions for BCDs, regs, wetsuits and/or computers?
Thanks.
Glad to be a part of the Board and happy to share the scoop on diving Down Under.
- pcdownunder

welcome. try posting under equipment

Welcome pcdownunder!

Give us a little more info, what type BCD (jacket/back inflate), what temps do you plan on diving in, perfer the console or watch?

LP puts together scuba packages which will definetly help keep the price down.

Check out the downunder section for good on the ground info. Another good site is Dive-Oz.

Halcyon Eclipse for your BCD, Its a wing/backplate/harness set up but once you get used to it youll never want to go normal BCD again. As for Wetsuit, Neptune do good ones however their neoprene is soft and stretches after a few dives leaving the seals around your ankles and wrists loose which allows a bit more water entry, even on the semi dry ones. Scuba pro do good wetties also and real good reg's. The MK17 is an awesome first stage but if your planning on getting into twins id recommend the MK25 as it has a port on the bottom allowing for good hose routing. The R 395 second stage is a real good reg. Do heaps of research before you buy and always try and hire the gear you want to buy first to make sure it works for the type of diving you want, can be an expensive hobby otherwise when you end up replacing everything after a few months like i did :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom