gear prices on Maui vs. mainland/net?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In general, how do wetsuit prices at the local shops on Maui compare to those on the mainland and/or major internet shops? On one hand, I figure it may be cheaper on island due to the amount of competition/traffic. On the other hand, prices may be jacked up/full msrp for tourists.

Any shop suggestions for gear?

Thanks

I can only tell you what I've seen recently -- my dad purchased this suit:
Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 5mm Jumpsuit Mens

from Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui in Lahaina about three weeks ago for $389. That's $13.50 less then LeisurePro. Not to mention, it was there for him to try on and there were no shipping charges.

If you're going to Key Largo / Key West you can find some great deals at the dive outlet stores along the way. This is NOT true anywhere in Hawaii. The selection is limited and the prices are usually retail. For example, you can get a 5mm wetsuit at LeisurePro for $125. You will probably not find a similar suit on Maui. I'm surprised that Kris's dad even found a 5mm suit; 3/2's are the norm, but they can be had here for $125-$150 (try Sports Authority first and then Maui Dive Shop's main store on S. Kihei Rd. for the best selection). The good news is that rentals (weights/tanks...) are cheaper here than some other islands... e.g. tanks are about $5 here - but $10 on the big island. I'd SUGGEST you consider a ~ $100 3mm full suit and add a henderson instadry hood for additional warmth when needed. Total price < $200.
Mark

Mark... even you could find a suit at Hawaiian Rafting!!! I know it sounds strange -- but they have a huge selection (thicknesses, sizes and "features" -- Merino, Elastiprene, etc.) of Pinnacle suits, and an ok selection of AquaLung.

Their prices on the AquaLung suits were competitive, though don't recall enough specifics to price compare here.

If all you're looking for is some rubber to cover your body -- I'm certain you can get something somewhere else for cheaper. But if you're looking for the quality and technology that Pinnacle brings to the table (I've been coveting one of these suits for a couple years now), it seems prices do compare here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom