Gear me up, buttercup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I am a newer diver with 15 dives under my wetsuit. I am diving towards, getting into tech diving, with cave(overhead environment) certification being the next major step. I have most of my gear picked out for purchase, but I would like to see what you guys think of what I have picked out so far. I have spent probably around 200 hours researching gear, reading reviews, watching videos. I have a bit of an idea of what i need, but I am having some issues with choosing between what I want and what i really need. So, please bear with me, and tell me what you think.

Money is kind of an issue, but whatever it is, I can make it work. I am not rich, by any stretch. But I am able to get what I want eventually. I will mainly be diving cold water

1. Regs - Atomic Z2X sealed, 1st and 2nd stage. Octo will also be a atomic Z2X.
2. BCD - Halcyon Eclipse with a 40 lb wing, with the weighted STA and integrated weight pockets.
3. Mask - Bare frameless black.
4. Wetsuit- Henderson 7mm aqualoc
I am a couple years out from getting in a two tank situation, I will change wing when I am at dbl tanks. These things I have, or am getting for sure, it is below I need the help

1. Drysuit- I am looking at a couple models here Pinnacle Black Ice or the Hollis biodry fx100

2. Computer- Diverite Nitek Q or the Mares Icon HD, or possibly some other large non circular dive computer that will handle nitrox.

3. Compass/Gauges- I do like redundancy. no real choices here, but I will have at least an spg and possibly a depth gauge in addition to my computer

4. Lighting- I will require canister style light, so I am currently looking at the Halcyon line of the EOS line or the Diverrite RX2

So, any ideas of what I have picked. I know i will require lines, spools, etc. But they wont be a priority right now. Dives will mainly be boat dives, in Great Lakes from April to November.

Thanks

Nothing at all wrong with your choices. I probably would not make the same ones, because I think the premium paid for Halcyon gear is not matched by tangible additional value. But, I own some Halcyon wings and lights and they are fully functional.
I am not rich, by any stretch. But I am able to get what I want eventually. I will mainly be diving cold water

1. Regs - Atomic Z2X sealed, 1st and 2nd stage. Octo will also be a atomic Z2X. Good that you are getting the same primary and Octo second stages.
2. BCD - Halcyon Eclipse with a 40 lb wing, with the weighted STA and integrated weight pockets. Good, functional rig. I would go stainless steel on the plate.
3. Mask - Bare frameless black. I use a freameless mask, although not a Bare. Good, low volume, unit.
4. Wetsuit- Henderson 7mm aqualoc The Aqualoc is a fantastic wetsuit. I have a 5mm. Most comfortable wetsuit I have ever owned.
1. Drysuit- I am looking at a couple models here Pinnacle Black Ice or the Hollis biodry fx100 Whatever fits you is what you should get.

2. Computer- Diverite Nitek Q or the Mares Icon HD, or possibly some other large non circular dive computer that will handle nitrox. Either one is fine. Neither would be my choice (I am wedded to my Liquivision X1) , but '6 of one, half dozen of the other'. Why the stipulation on 'non circular'?

3. Compass/Gauges- I do like redundancy. no real choices here, but I will have at least an spg and possibly a depth gauge in addition to my computer I dive two computers, for redundancy of time AND depth, so I find that having only a SPG on my HP hose works fine. Whatever works for you . . .

4. Lighting- I will require canister style light, so I am currently looking at the Halcyon line of the EOS line or the Diverrite RX2 The RX2 is a very nice unit. Are you planning to start with a can light as your first light purchase, or a less expensive, flashlight style LED light that can ultimately become a back-up to a can light?

Few things to add, the Halcyon 40lb singles wing tends to taco a bit on skinny tanks like Al80's and St72's. If you don't require that much lift then go with the 30lb wing.

The Al Bp and Weighted STA is a very versatile choice if you ever dive with lighter exposure protection. I only require 16-20lbs diving my area and at times need to go with a 3mm for pool sessions or vacation, so I chose that config.

Start looking at your backup lights too btw.

For a dry suit, I think your Hollis suit is a better choice. For one thing, it's a laminate suit, which means you can vary the undergarment you use and use the suit in both very cold and warmer water. For another, the Pinnacle Black Ice can apparently be quite difficult to repair -- and ALL dry suits eventually need repair.

The Dive Rite lights are generally less expensive, but they have a definite reputation for flooding.

As far as the computer goes, if you are interested in getting into technical diving later on, you might want to make sure the computer has the option of being put into gauge mode. Most recreational computers deal very poorly with mandatory decompression.

Great job on your research.

Trilam Drysuit from the start that fit properly, don't settle on fit...... Santi E-Lite or DUI Flx-Extreme. Trilam or Bilam suits can be be dove in any water temp with proper undergarments. No need for multiple wetsuits.

When you go drysuit, you could drop the weight pockets and put trim pocket on the lower cam band since you are using a SS plate with a weighted STA.

The 40lb wing will taco a little but may not be enough lift if you need to take rig off for those boats without a ladder (using steel tanks).

I'm sure you are familiar with this page...DIR gear config

Light Monkey makes great light as well (can and two backups).
If you buy non halcyon, just make sure you compare designs. I went the Hollis route.

And keep the SPG separate clipped off the left hip d-ring. I use a VT3 ai and Shearwater. The VT3 lost connection a couple of times (vary rare, works 99%), but with a SPG you can continue the dive.

The following is worth at least as much as you have paid for it!

(Note, I am actually going on the assumption that $ is a factor with the following suggestions.)

1. Regs - Atomic Z2X sealed, 1st and 2nd stage. Octo will also be a atomic Z2X.

I've become a big fan of the Hog regs although I know some people don't like them.

2. BCD - Halcyon Eclipse with a 40 lb wing, with the weighted STA and integrated weight pockets.

As with many others, I'm a fan of DSS BP/W set ups -- especially for single tank using cambands and the DSS weight plates. I am NOT a fan of STAs. I also believe that Halcyon gear is overpriced.

3. Mask - Bare frameless black.
4. Wetsuit- Henderson 7mm aqualoc
I am a couple years out from getting in a two tank situation, I will change wing when I am at dbl tanks. These things I have, or am getting for sure, it is below I need the help

1. Drysuit- I am looking at a couple models here Pinnacle Black Ice or the Hollis biodry fx100

2. Computer- Diverite Nitek Q or the Mares Icon HD, or possibly some other large non circular dive computer that will handle nitrox.

Right now Leisurepro has a great deal on a close out console -- for $250 you get a Tec 2g (good computer and transferrable to Tech diving); Compass; SPG. Although they come in a console, it is trivial to take them out and put them into DSS gear boots for a wrist compass and wrist computer and a very useable SPG -- total cost about $275. -- go to Leisurepro and search for tec2g console -- it is a closeout special

(Note, this is a round computer so perhaps won't fit your desires.)

3. Compass/Gauges- I do like redundancy. no real choices here, but I will have at least an spg and possibly a depth gauge in addition to my computer

See above

4. Lighting- I will require canister style light, so I am currently looking at the Halcyon line of the EOS line or the Diverrite RX2

Interesting that no one has mentioned Light Monkey -- great service, good lights.

Two additional thoughts:
Trilam Drysuit from the start that fit properly
A good suggestion well worth considering. Given your location, and the fact that you will probably be diving colder waters, year round, I would definitely go for a drysuit over a 7mm wetsuit, if that is a possible choice. For years, I dove only a) a 3mm wetsuit if the water temp was above 73, or b) a drysuit if below that. Worked very well for me. I only got the 5mm Aqualoc last year (although it is everything I said - most comfortable wetsuit I have ever owned) because it was available as a Keyman deal, and there were times when I wanted to dive wet in 70 degree water.
g1138:
The Al Bp and Weighted STA is a very versatile choice if you ever dive with lighter exposure protection
A very reasonable point. Given what you described as you planned exposure suits (7mm wet, or dry) I would go with SS. But, if you see yourself diving 1mm or 3mm wetsuits in the tropics to any extnet, then an AL BP is worth thinking about.

Thanks for the suggestion re: tec 2G Peter Guy! I've been looking for a cheap computer that eventually can be used a a BT/gauge when I enter tech!

Glad to see you are thinking ahead about gear choices.

You seem focused on expensive, quality gear. You might as well also consider inexpensive, quality gear.

Atomics are great regs, but so are Dive Rite, Hog, or used Scubapro. Or, you could consider buying Tusa, the models that are basically Scubapro, to save money but be sure you are getting quality equipment.

Drysuits are important, but you can consider used. Find out who repairs them in your area though, and consider that a beat up used suit isn't a good deal often because of the cost of a zipper and seals. Trilam is great. Many manufacturers who all make good suits.

A 30 pound wing is great for singles, but if you call Tobin of DSS, he'll walk you through all of the gear for your diving and make sure you end up with the best wing. His products aren't cheap, but his service is outstanding, and the quality is nearly unmatchable. The Halcyon gear is also good. An SS plate is nice for open water diving but with heavy steel tanks in caves, an aluminum is the way to go, and typically much cheaper than SS, especially Halcyon SS!

Some people bash DR lights but I have no qualms with them. I've never gotten one of them to leak, but I don't like the older Welch Allyn bulbs. Light Monkey makes incredible lights. I've been trying for 4 years to destroy mine (ok, it's a Salvo, but....same thing...) and finally I got the cord to fail if pulled in a certain direction. I still managed a dive trip with the wonky cord, the best kind of failure possible! Either way, the Halcyon lights are good, but the price is high.

I don't know why you want a square computer. I think the Dive Rite Nitek Duo is a great computer, and easy to find used for $150 in good shape. Works perfect for 2 gas diving or bottom timers, downloadable if you want...

Basically, lots of great equipment out there. If you are willing to compromise with brands on one or two items, you might can afford even better other options for other pieces of gear. For example, you could save a few hundred on regs and put that towards a computer that will handle trimix, or get a used 2 gas computer and invest in nicer regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom