Gear failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived with hoseless for years. And have never had problems before the dives.

But I NEVER go without an SPG along, and if I'm doing deco, without an SPG strapped and tucked on me.

My first A.I. hoseless was a bitter disappointment, and got sold quickly. But I believe that reliability has improved quite a bit and may, at some point, consider the SPG to be a redundancy issue only.

But as I have always maintained, any gear choices made carry both positives and negatives. You have to acknowledge them and adjust for them or you're setting yourself up for unexpected issues and/or crises.

Just my 2 highly-devalued cents...

I have a wireless and use to record my gas usage for my log book cause I am too lazy to do it otherwise. If it does do not link up, I try once or twice to get it back if not I splash anyways as I have an SPG. It has only failed me once so far.

I...imagine my inner grin while trying to look outwardly sympathetic on the boat road to dive #2. .

Why hold yourself back??? I would have made sure to wear a nice outward grin given that the guy made fun of you before.

:wink:

Hey my expensive wireless sux on my guitar, why would it be any better on scuba gear. would I risk my life on wireless? NFW! Gimme a hose/spg and a guitar cable.

my 1.2 cents (inflation)

can you hear me now?........can you hear me now?.....can you hear me now?
I would love(barring price) to have one of those wrist computers I F.
If it had a lil hose running up the arm, over the shoulder and to the first stage.
a couple velcro straps (like my watch) would make it do-able.
But just trying to pair my bluetooth phone is trouble enough and I didn't have to pay $700 for it.
At these prices the thing should install it's self after replacing it's own battery:D
can you hear me now?
And $1400 for a hud mask?
Don't get me wrong, I like computers(when they are manageable). But with all the trouble tickets I keep reading here on SB I can't comprehend people still buying them and paying those prices to boot.

When diving for fun, I dive with a hoseless air integrated computer. I also carry a non-integrated backup. While I have had different problems with the hoseless computer, nothing serious has occurred. For me, the elimination of hoses was a liberation.

But I know and accept two things. First, if the integrated computer goes out, the dive is over even though I should not have a problem ending it safely. Second, if the computer is out and no alternative (another computer or SPG) is available, I cannot dive at all. I make that choice and dive by those rules. I certainly would not tell other divers they should do so.

dude, is that you in a superlite? i've spent many years in that thing and haven't seen anybody else on this board with it on. killer!

dude, is that you in a superlite? i've spent many years in that thing and haven't seen anybody else on this board with it on. killer!

Yes, it's a Superlite 17K. It is approximately number 312, or there abouts (I don't have the info on it here at work). It was a interm model using the SL27 neck dam, the removable SL27 communication module and the SL17 shell.

It has been replaced by the SL37.

No, it doesn't get much use right now.

thanks to all you guys and your great feedback; i'm thinking true wireless is a long way off (and i'll still wear an spg :wink:

i wanted to mention that i had an hp hose failure about two months ago. evidentally, according to my buddy, it looked fairly spectacular. this was a hose that had maybe 50 dives tops on it, and simply sprung a leak in the middle of the hose. actually, several leaks to be specific. he took a video of it and the rest of the dive; if i can pry it out of him i'll post it here (he spent the rest of the dive videoing me and my leak).

my point, however, is that even though the hose was leaking and it looked gnarly, i was in fact losing very little volume out of the bottle i was diving. being the sensible divers that we are, we turned the dive and headed back to the boat. now, this is for informational purposes only so don't pulverize me here, but we didn't end it but instead finished the dive wandering around at about 60'. to give you some idea of what the gas loss equated to, we turned the dive when i had about 2000# (steel 100 at about 120') and then ended up to 60' or so to get back to the boat. after another :30 at 60', i still had around 1000#. got bored and surfaced.

so a couple of things: those hp hoses are very well made; i'm not a manufacturer but can tell you that if you ever cut one apart (it's difficult) you'll see that it's multiple layers of rubber intertwined with some kind of fabric-looking material and looks like a glass window with all those wiry things in it; thus the price. these guys don't mess around when making a hose!

i'll post the video if i can get it.

erik

i'll post the video if i can get it.

erik
If you have problems loading the video here, you can host it on photobucket or tinypic and link it here...

Back
Top Bottom