Gear Configurations...What's yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm confused. I've seen some folks say their gear is DIR on this thread and I don't understand the difference between Hogarthian configuration and the DIR configuration? Could someone explain the differences please?

Hey, Quarrior, let's not get that argument started again in this thread, OK?

Quarrior:
I'm confused. I've seen some folks say their gear is DIR on this thread and I don't understand the difference between Hogarthian configuration and the DIR configuration? Could someone explain the differences please?

DIR is very specific.. it's a subset of what most people would call Hogarthian. To me, Hogarthian implies bp/wing, a goal of simplicity, robustness, and streamlining.. whereas being DIR requires your knife to be in a certain spot, for instance.

The Kracken:
Hey, Quarrior, let's not get that argument started again in this thread, OK?
Ok I'll play nice. Sometimes the Devil makes me do things. lol

jonnythan:
DIR is very specific.. it's a subset of what most people would call Hogarthian. To me, Hogarthian implies bp/wing, a goal of simplicity, robustness, and streamlining.. whereas being DIR requires your knife to be in a certain spot, for instance.
That is the first sensible answer I have ever seen on the question. Thanks for posting it. :D

Let me add that I'm speaking strictly of gear configuration when I say that.

BC: Dive Rite Transpac II with Venture wing, 16 lb weight pouches, and crotch strap
Regulator: Mares Proton Ice
Octo: Aeris something, attached with velcro octo holder that works pretty well.
Console: Scubapro everything, kind of antique, heavy, still figuring out where to attach it; probably with bolt snap to scooter ring. Need to get a computer.
Compass: can't think of brand, really nice wrist mount with side view.
Mask: just got a new one, again can't remember brand. Had a Tusa but had very limited range of vision, so got one of the Cressi rip-offs.
Snorkel: Tusa
Fins: Mares Volos
Wetsuit(s): 7 mm Jane/Jacket Action Plus. Hoping to upgrade to a Henderson setup. Henderson Tri-Lam (it was a present), and lycra dive skin.
Gloves: 3 mm Body Glove
Hood: Over my dead body (just kidding; getting a Henderson one of these days)
Booties: thick soled, Henderson Hyperstretch no-zipper. LOVE them.
Leg Knife: 25 year old 7 inch Winoka chrome plated stainless steel knife that my mother used.
Arm Knife: 25 year old 3 inch Dacor chrome plated stainless steel knife that my mother used.
Lights: Princeton Tec Shockwave II kit with backup and signaling light.

Ishie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom