Gear configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if anybody could clarify the logic behind the following gear configuration that I saw the other day: the guy had a long (5 ft?) hose first stage, with a "standard" octo.The octo was attached to a regular octo holder, on a chest D-ring.
I am aware of the rationale behind the long hose-esp.the one for OOA situations in overhead/tight situations (7' would allow air sharing with a diver who is behind you, etc.) but these setups all contained the "bungeed backup". My confusion: this guy had the long hose AND an octo.
(BTW, he did not seem receptive to questions- in fact, the consensus of the people on the boat, was that he was a ****, so I did not ask him .)
Any ideas??

thanks in advance,
Mike

I was wondering if anybody could clarify the logic behind the following gear configuration that I saw the other day: the guy had a long (5 ft?) hose first stage, with a "standard" octo.The octo was attached to a regular octo holder, on a chest D-ring.

I know that this is a stretch, and giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was in the middle of "make one change at a time". I had some odd configs until I got things much more together. -best answer I can come up with.

Sounds like a hybrid and I don't see a problem.

His alternate is readily accessible to donate or use personally and he has infinite flexibility with his primary. While it may not conform to the common configurations it's nothing that a pre-dive briefing won't solve.

I'd rather see that than an alternate/inflater combo.

The reality in most real world OOA's is that the donor gets mugged for his or her primary. So a long hose primary makes sense as the donor ends up on the octo anyway.

Also, the benefits of a long hose primary in open water diving are not negated or even greatly reduced by using an octo mounted somewhere other than on a bungee necklace.

Personally, I'd like to see the long hose primary and onation of the primary in an OOA situation become standard just like the BC and octo did a generation ago, and I suspect in 10 years that will largely be the case. The bungee necklaced secondary is a lot less likely to become standard fare for OW recreational diving as it does not offer that much over a traditional octo in OW environments and competes for space with the snorkel.

... he can then give his buddy his regulator and use the octopus himself when needed. Some think it is easier that way.

This is indeed the strangest thing I have heard all day. I can only guess that he is saving up for his next 2nd stage, and then he will get the necklace-bungee.

Except that he already HAS another second stage, it's just on a longer hose and secured elsewhere. If he wanted to change it to a bungied necklace reg, all he has to do is change the hose and put a necklace on it. It's clearly a choice; some people really don't like the idea of anything fastened around their neck.

Except that he already HAS another second stage, it's just on a longer hose and secured elsewhere. If he wanted to change it to a bungied necklace reg, all he has to do is change the hose and put a necklace on it. It's clearly a choice; some people really don't like the idea of anything fastened around their neck.

When the O/P described "standard octo" I took that to mean one of those $99 dollar plastic wonders, however. I can't tell if the octo is a fully fledged 2nd stage, from this.

You may be right about the necklace/noose thing. Maybe someone might be afraid of that, if not having received the proper instruction (as Katherine Zeta-Jones said in Zorro!):)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom