Gear Advice / Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mparr

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning all,

I've just purchased my first set of gear and thought maybe I should ask about my choices. I purchased from divers supply and they were very helpful and I feel like I got a fair deal. They also told me that if something doesn't work out I can bring it back.

If it helps I'm a fairly large guy (44ish waist) and plan to dive our local springs here in north Florida and in the Caribbean. This will be a leisure thing for me and I will likely do 6 dives or so a year (unless total addiction sets in ... who knows? :) ).

Sorry I had links for all of this stuff but i can't post them because I haven't met the minimum post count.

BCD - Aeris Atmos LX QRL

Reg Set - Edge Epic

Gauge / Console - Sea Elite Slimline 2

Wrist Computer - Oceanic Veo 180

Gear Bag - XS Scuba Wheeled Mesh Backpack

Total out the door was around $930

I already had my mask, fins, etc from class.

My goal was to be budget minded without sacrificing quality. I want this gear to last and be something I can grow into without breaking my bank. Seeing as my shop is flexible and I can return things I am free to make adjustments.

I arrived at my BC choice because I dove a hybrid back inflate in class and this one has the weight in the right places and just seemed to fit me pretty well.

The computer is one of my biggest questions. I asked for a nitrox (I'm not even sure I'll do nitrox but I figured I should get one that is capable in case) capable computer that wouldn't break my bank and this is what they recommended.

The rest of the gear I pretty much went with what the LDS recommended for my needs.

Does this setup look solid? Are there places I could have saved a bit of money without sacrificing quality? I think I'm comfortable with my purchases but a 2nd set of eyes never hurt anyone and diving is a new thing for me.

As a side note I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks and I have found it quite helpful. Keep up the great work :).

Just in case it isn't includes in mask, fins, etc - Make sure you have a safety sausage/surface marker , some boats won't let you dive without it.

Unless you plan on getting into technical diving, this equipment choice will do you just fine.

I'd add some lights for night diving. Preferrably LED lights because they can take a beating without the bulbs getting broken. Even during the day, I've found a small LED light useful to shine into cracks & crevices.

If you were to do night dive, then you'd need a lighting device for your tank/cam strap.

Do you have gloves? It may not be cold where you're at but a set of thin gloves would keep your hands from getting cut up.

Back
Top Bottom