Gaz's Playa Blanca Resort Ambergris Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RLarsen

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from divers who stayed at Gaz's Playa Blanca Resort on Ambergris Caye Belize in regards to food availabilty and cost.
I've heard food is limited and expensive and its good to go grocery shopping to prepare some of your own meals. Also was told you need a water taxi ( $ ) to get to the store.
I don't want to spend a fortune on meals, nor do I want to worry about paying for rides to the store and preparing meals.
Any comment from those who have been there ?
Rex

I was there about 5 years ago, and he's built it up some more since then, built a restaurant and added a fw pool.

I haven't heard anyone recently mention it, and I couldn't even swear it's still there, other than the web site is still running.

We had an awesome time staying there. His dive staff was amazing. THe main DM Andy was an amazing guide and new the reefs and their inhabitants inside and out.

THeir boats were small, but so were the number of divers they'd take on them.

The many dive spots were 10-15 mins from shore, and a protected smooth ride, except for the last moments on some when we'd swing outside the barrier reef before doing a rear entry.

The dives were close enough that surface intervals were done on shore.

Again, it's been awhile, so I'd also really like to hear a more recent update.

I was there a couple of week ago, did'nt meet Gaz.
there are good dive sites from his place all the way south.
one thing you might want to do is set up a dive with a shop near town.
they will pick you up and give you a ride home, and you will have time to do some shopping for food. this way you don't have to pay the water taxi all the time.
Ambergris divers, ecologic divers, Amigos, belize diving adventures
all are within walking distance to stores.
i dove with "Junior" at ecologic divers
Have a great trip

Are you saying that Gaz's place doesn't do its own diving anymore?

While there, we used Amigos to dive the Blue Hole. Amazing dive, but a real rough trip getting there, and we were concerned about their saftey oversight.

While we were comfortable blowing through rec limits (maxed at 158), there were two newbies along as well. This was their first dive since ow cert and they didn't belong there.

To make it worse, one of them, a true knucklehead, also was armed with a camera. He was really good at bashing into divers and coral while chasing down his prey.

I stay far away, but almost spit out my reg laughing when he kicked off the DMs mask.

Btw, that Blue Hole trip is followed by 2 incredible wall dives on the outer atolls.

Gaz does do diving, but I think only for his own guests. He usually watches these boards, so I guess he'll be along before long to give the facts.

That problem in the BH isn't unusual. Way too many divers who're not ready for that sort of diving are persuaded to go. I've even heard of uncertified divers going. 158' is even deeper than I would have expected, though 150' is usual.

Can we get back to the question of available food and cost ? At the moment I'm not interested in the Blue Hole.
Thanks,
Rex

Along with my question about food cost I'd appreciate reading some current reviews of Baz's Playa Blanca Resort. Cruising around the Internet I came across four surprisingly critical reports on the resort on a travel review website.
Thanks alot
Rex

buy your grocheries before you go to Gaz's. It's pretty far north if you want to shop for food every day. you will have to take a water taxi back and forth.

It's a nice place, a little rustic very layed back.

I agree with Peterbj7 too many new divers go too deep at the BH, the individual dive center should help monotor the divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom