Gauging Interest in DH backplates...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubseaSports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All I have ever used was the plastic and metal shaped plates for singles and doubles.
Figured I would make a plate to facilitate diving DH with modern accouterments.

Of course I am not the first guy to do this...from what I know, it started with Seacraft...
52.jpeg

Then VDH, and now not to be had.

So..here we go..
53.jpeg

I have a test piece being laser cut, should have it by the end of the week.
1/8" 5052 aluminum, single tank. It will accommodate modern wings with 11" center. Harness will be crossed at the shoulders like the Seacraft. I used to run a DR plate with 72 doubles crossed at the shoulders to get the right position for the can and it worked well. Modern dual tank straps are used to secure your tank.

Also have a roll control section that will be in at the same time.

Will post a follow up once I have it and tested.

consider putting a second set of slots at the shoulders to allow it to use a single piece of webbing
What he said. ^^^ And a slot rather than two holes for the bottom wing attach point.

I have been very happy with the design as shown for both single and double hose diving. Packs great, and comfortable and stable in the water. Good luck with your project, but I hope you have Bryan's blessing.

consider putting a second set of slots at the shoulders to allow it to use a single piece of webbing which will make it much easier for harnesses. The extra wide triglides needed to secure the shoulders are not terribly easy to come by.

I had my shoulder webbing sewn at the shoulders so I wouldn't have to deal with using tri-glides there. (No chance of having the tri-glides scratch my DH reg can.) See post #5 in this thread (Twin 45's back from Hydro and valves/manifold rebuilt.).

Of course, my approach can still be used if there were a second set of slots. But, a second set is not necessary for this approach.

rx7diver

why? He didn't make the design....
Depends if it's a direct copy. The handful I made were done from direct measurements off the VDH plate, so I got his OK before selling some to offset my costs. Just seems like a courtesy if it's a direct copy.
If it's just a similar design, that's different.

Respectfully,

James

I needed to cut in another set of waist slots at the bottom because of my height.......

another "tweak" I've seen is to bend the bottom corners outward slightly to avoid a dig in at the hip (not an issue for me, but shorter folks)...

I would suggest an other set of waist band slots lower down for taller divers.
Made a huge difference for me. To clip the waist d ring and suiting up

Back
Top Bottom