Gators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunaBuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone had any experiences with gators when salt water diving? I know there are lots of gator stories out of Florida, but I'm wondering about the rest of the east coast. I kayaked to an island in the mouth of the Cape Fear River (it's basically salt water there) and camped overnight. The next morning we were cooling off in the river and here comes a gator. Got me thinking about what I would do and how I would react if I ran across one while diving. I marked the spot using my Navionics app so I could share with everyone where I saw it.
I'd love to hear any stories, advice, etc.
IMG_0866.JPG gator marker.PNG gator coordinates.PNG

Brackish water may be gators. I think that salt water would more likely be crocodiles but it would'nt surprise me if an occasional gator ventured into sakt water.
I dive in fresh water rivers here in Florida. I don't dive in rivers at night and I try to avoid the banks during the day unless I'm sure it is gator free.
If they see you first they will usually avoid you. Murky water where visibility is low or non existant is a problem though.

Fossil_Diver is correct. They do venture into brackish water, but generally avoid saltwater. Of course, never say never, but they normally just don't tolerate the higher osmotic environment of salt water. Likewise, they are also pretty docile. Most negative experiences with alligators result from when people feed them and they learn to associate people with food. This is not something I would personally worry about.

I've been tubing and diving and seen them plenty of times hanging out on the banks or near the banks and they have never slipped into the water and came after me like in the movies.
I'm actually more concerned about being harassed by otters. They are territorial and will chase people away from their turf. They are cute but I don't think I ever want to get bit by one.
Gators are pretty much everywhere there is fresh water in Florida. The lakes in residential areas and in the middle of my city are full of them. Like RyanT said the only ones that become a problem are usually the ones that people feed.

Several that live in Hancock creek in Havelock. Brackish water. Haven't ever seen any in the ocean.
Used to have my boat docked at Hancock Marina. Gators come up when people trying to crab off the dock with chicken and they eat the chicken off the line. Largest one was about 8 feet long.

I dive with them frequently in brackish water. They usually won't bother you unless they've been fed, and those are easy to spot. I don't trust them after they get to be about 8' or so. I've only seen one gator in salt water, off of Venice beach, and I've lived in Florida my whole life.

One of the guys on my team grabbed a gator underwater. We were looking for a car, and he thought he found it... until it moved. It was about 5' or so.

Back
Top Bottom