Gas station scam today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The newer station is the one that tried to play games with us too. I watched everything he did from right next to him and was waiting for some kind of BS, finally he asked us to check the gas gauge because I did ask to fill it up and as I pretended to look down, I saw him add 400 pesos to the total. My 6'5" worth of Irish went up and I bolted around the car at him yelling in my basic Spanish, he got the point. Needless to say the amount changed quickly. I had 5 people in the car and they were laughing as we pulled away claiming the guy turned whiter than me as I charged at him yelling about the rip off.

This is a satisfying read. I hope it was sufficient to protect the next few people from his dishonest behaviour as well. A guy will think twice about pulling a scam if not everyone that comes up to him a sheep ready to be fleeced.

Sort of makes me want to hang out at that gas station my next dry day and see what develops if I make myself conspicuous. I just wish the police weren't so corrupt.

I do appreciate it's more pleasurable for most of us just to avoid the crime area and focus on enjoying our limited time on the island. Next time I'm in a rental car with visiting relatives, I too will avoid the situation.

Regards,
Cameron

Attachments

• 94625718.jpg
    94625718.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 55
A more recent one I've run into is asking for a fillup and having them guess how much will fill the tank and stop when they are just below a round number (400 pesos would be 370, 500 pesos stop at 470) This makes it much more likely for them to get a 30 peso tip. One time my newly rented car was really low on gas when I got it in Playa and I ended up heading for Merida with about 3/4 tank. Yes the attendant got the 30 peso tip. Some attendants will make a point of letting the filler click off and then doing it again so you know they actually filled it. Give them a tip. A dollar or two means a lot to them.

Another trap is for the attendant to distract you with conversation after you ask for a fillup and to pretend to pump gas in. They then stop, point at the numbers on the pump and ask for their 100 pesos. When you say you wanted it filled they apologize, reset the numbers and fill the tank. Then add the fake 100 pesos to the bill.

Any time someone is washing your windshield with a dirty rag they are distracting you from the attendant. Any time someone offers to check your tires or oil while the attendant is filling they are distracting you from the attendant. Any time the attendant is trying to tell you about places to see or go they are distracting you from what they are actually doing.

The first time they do the bill switch, 200 for a 20 or 500 for a 50 you will believe you were shortchanging them. This was attempted on me again in in February and the guy travelling with me who was standing watching for fraud actually believed I had given the attendant a 50. I had made sure what I was giving him and he backed right off when I gave him a look. These guys do this all day long and they are GOOD at what they do.

Please tip the honest ones

If you don't want to get ripped off at a mexican gas station, don't go to mexico.

Reactions: BRT
If you don't want to get ripped off at a mexican gas station, don't go to mexico.
That's one way, of course. It's not the best way, however, not by a very long shot.

As a few have noted, just get out of the car, stand by the pump, and watch the numbers. Then payi n exact pesos. That stops any of these scams, period. Ignore any attempts at distraction.

As a few have noted, just get out of the car, stand by the pump, and watch the numbers. Then payi n exact pesos. That stops any of these scams, period. Ignore any attempts at distraction.
How many miles have you driven in Q. Roo and Yucatan? These guys are good.

How many miles have you driven in Q. Roo and Yucatan? These guys are good.

There is no level of good that can overcome standing by the pump, making sure it starts at zero, making sure gas is coming out as the numbers rotate, and paying only the number when the gas stops. Now maybe the display reads false and a liter displayed is not really a liter pumped but that's not the attendant. (Thousands. How many miles have you driven?)

There is no level of good that can overcome standing by the pump, making sure it starts at zero, making sure gas is coming out as the numbers rotate, and paying only the number when the gas stops. Now maybe the display reads false and a liter displayed is not really a liter pumped but that's not the attendant. (Thousands. How many miles have you driven?)
I don't disagree. However when you are standing by the drivers door watching the numbers roll and an old man starts washing your windshield with a greasy rag it is a good man who won't look away for a moment. I've done thousands also. Been fooled too.

Back
Top Bottom