Gas station scam today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Finally witnessed the tourist tax at the gas station. I was scammed 5 years ago but it hasn't been attempted again until today.

Rental car. Female friend driving. Classic tourist look. (Can't equalize today so stuck on the land) We need gas.

Gas attendant, with over exaggerates arm gestures, waves us over to the pump farthest from the office.

Speaking English asks if we want it filled, yes. He starts gringo alley salesman small talk, asking about our trip etc. Blocking the view of the pump. No sound of the gas flowing for the first 5 minutes. Starts filling, a few minutes pass. Second guy comes up and cleans the windshield, asking us questions. I use the mirror to watch the first attendant punch a few keys on the pump. We look back, he says it's full, pointing at the pump reading 956 pesos. Says it's 50 American dollars if no pesos.

I switch to Spanish and tell him "It's an impossible price and needs fixed". He replies "Ok, I'll fix it" and disappears. 3rd attendant appears a few minutes later with a receipt showing 324 pesos for the aprox 20l gas we purchased.

We pay and leave.

Results may vary but it was fun being a knowing participant for the magic show. Well choreographed.

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
Us NYers, we just cut them and leave :wink:

Finally witnessed the tourist tax at the gas station. I was scammed 5 years ago but it hasn't been attempted again until today.

Rental car. Female friend driving. Classic tourist look. (Can't equalize today so stuck on the land) We need gas.

Gas attendant, with over exaggerates arm gestures, waves us over to the pump farthest from the office.

Speaking English asks if we want it filled, yes. He starts gringo alley salesman small talk, asking about our trip etc. Blocking the view of the pump. No sound of the gas flowing for the first 5 minutes. Starts filling, a few minutes pass. Second guy comes up and cleans the windshield, asking us questions. I use the mirror to watch the first attendant punch a few keys on the pump. We look back, he says it's full, pointing at the pump reading 956 pesos. Says it's 50 American dollars if no pesos.

I switch to Spanish and tell him "It's an impossible price and needs fixed". He replies "Ok, I'll fix it" and disappears. 3rd attendant appears a few minutes later with a receipt showing 324 pesos for the aprox 20l gas we purchased.

We pay and leave.

Results may vary but it was fun being a knowing participant for the magic show. Well choreographed.

Regards,
Cameron

I should have written down every way I've caught them cheating me. Sometimes they got away with it the first time.

Any time they want to talk a bunch they are trying to cheat.

I wish I spoke fluent Spanish.
I speak fluent Spanish but when you know they are cheating you just stop, shut up and look at them like you are thinking of taking them apart. Their story will change rapidly. They don't want you going over their heads or to the police.

Hmmm, honestly, I wouldn't know how to handle it. I'd be kinda afraid, actually. Not my country. Have no idea what rights I have or don't, etc. Police are sketchy...

I think OP did well.

how do you say, “Receipt Please” in Spanish? That might cover a number of scams.

Wise! That works great with immigration agents, entry fees and corrupt officials in general! I've saved thousands over the last 4 years in the Americas, 2$ here and 100$ there. I'd rather spend money on air fills or sorb instead of personally funding corruption, whenever convenient.

That was my ticket to freedom getting my DPV scooter import tax down from bribe levels to actual tax levels 3 days ago.

I'll risk exposing my poor Spanish by suggesting something like "el recibo oficial por favor" might do the trick.

All in all, if I can speak the language or not is fairly irrelevant, it's mainly attitude and body language. All scam artists look for an easy target and much can be avoided by wide eyed incredulous arm waving and humble supplication gestures. Just please don't be wrong, that's embarrassing.

Last winter it was a twice daily game with the taxi driver's various ethics regarding pricing too.

@BRT is right on in my experience as well.

Personality types, philosophies of life and mindsets are at play here too. I was just posting as I'm somewhat excited I was able to experience the ongoing tourist scam for myself. And this flu has me feeling lousy.

Anyone else found an effective way to avoid the gas station scam?

Cheers,
Cameron

Wise!. And this flu has me feeling lousy.

Anyone else found an effective way to avoid the gas station scam?

Cheers,
Cameron
I hope you beat that cold soon!

Me, I like to rent a driver...allows me to take in the sites and almost guarantees I won't spill the Casa Azur! :) or get scammed.....the drivers I've had took it personal to protect you as well.

Me, I like to rent a driver...allows me to take in the sites and almost guarantees I won't spill the Casa Azur! :) or get scammed.....the drivers I've had took it personal to protect you as well.

Driver recommendation please?

Back
Top Bottom