Gas Pressure Indication Redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think many of you missed the point and took this to another level.

Many dive operators have rules. No functioning gas indication, no diving. Real simple. An analog SPG in addition to an AI computer or wireless transmitter makes sense if you want to still be able to dive, unless you want to sit on the boat for 2 hours while everyone else dives. Quite simple.

If you don't like to dive on a boat with rules like that then don't. If you don't want to add an SPG, then don't. It just seems as though many of you like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Many of us will never, ever dive together and after seeing the attitude of some of you, I would not want to dive with you under any circumstances, nor would I ever want to even sit down and have a beer. Some people just don't like to be told what to do and are defensive that way. No one is telling you what to do. So continue on your tirade if that what makes you feel good about yourself, if that what it takes.

What I know is this:

*My transmitter failed between dives and because I had an SPG, I was allowed to continue on my boat dive under the operator's rules. If I had no SPG, then I would have missed my dive(s) and when you pay to travel to a far away place, one does not need to sit on a boat while everyone else dives. You can argue about your gas planning but that won't change the mind of the operator.

*I was on a group night dive lead by a shop from shore and one of the participants had a failure of their AI digital computer. We all had to terminate the dive. If the diver had a backup SPG, we could have continued but instead it affected my diving.

If you want to argue clutter and failure points, no problem, I see and understand your opinion, it makes sense. Clutter is a relevant term anyway, subjective.

So go ahead and plan your gas, which I guess includes all of the variables that can happen during a dive and don't have the ability to monitor your gas. No problem, or actually just your problem.

---------- Post added ----------

The advantage is not having to ascend if you have a dysfunction. It may not be a big deal at Dutch Springs, but it is if you are on the beginning of a trip on a live aboard.

You can sell the transmitter on ebay buy 1 hose and 5 spgs using that money and you will be set for another 30 years.

I'm guessing the number isn't huge because it's seldom reported.

flots.
You guess wrong, it is reported frequently.

You can sell the transmitter on ebay buy 1 hose and 5 spgs using that money and you will be set for another 30 years.
I have had high pressure hoses fail a bunch of times, but I have a SPG that has been functional since 1976.

You guess wrong, it is reported frequently.

I have had high pressure hoses fail a bunch of times, but I have a SPG that has been functional since 1976.

Thats even better as one can buy more hoses :)

Hard to believe anyone could be as over the top aggressive, in a public forum no less, as the OP in "Hoping" others might avoid the problems he experienced.

He's better served by selecting buddies and dive charters that aren't so restrictive instead of "hoping" for others to change their rig configurations for him.

With your usual hypersensitivity you managed to morph the OP's suggestion based on his personal experience and his own opinion into an oppressive command from the scuba gods. Forums are supposed to be a place for the exchange of ideas. Nobody should expect to agree with all of them or even a majority of them.

Exchanges of ideas, not pontification. You of all people should remember that.

If you really don't care how others dive why the constant bluster?

Because I wanted to make sure that novices would know that there is more than one way to rig their gears, and that they should do their own thinking and reasoning instead of swallowing what others spew as "expert" opinions.

We get it, you will dive anyway you please. Good for you, enjoy. The whole caped defender of truth, justice, and the right too nonconformity routine is IMO, getting a bit worn.

Tobin

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Because I wanted to make sure that novices would know that there is more than one way to rig their gears,

There's a thousand ways to do anything.
Of those, there's typically only a handful of workable ways.
Of those, there's only several effective ways.
Of those, there's only one optimum way.

Optimum, of course, being specific to the diver and the dives they do.

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is hard... doing so without any basis of experience is all but impossible. Hence, the benefit of advice, from those with experience.

You seem to suggest that listening to the advice of more experienced divers is a negative option. I don't understand the logic of that. Why should every noobie diver 're-invent the wheel', when a thousand divers have already trod that path and made the necessary discoveries?

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

There is a difference between consistently defending a well thought out position and reflexively attacking anyone who offers an opinion you disagree with.

I have a lot of faith in the membership here. I'm confident that most can differentiate between the blowhards and the genuine. They really don't need to be protected by you or anyone else.......

Tobin

What are you doing on your dives such that nearly everything you do is a result of a state that calls for immediate action to avoid loss or harm?

I can't think of anything on a normal dive that fits this description of an emergency.

Breathing underwater.

flots.

Breathing underwater.

flots.

well I guess by your interpretation, everyone including non-divers is in a constant state of emergency since they have an immediate need to breathe to avoid loss or harm :)

I don't really see it as an emergency situation given the definition supplied earlier, since you have a gas supply. Now if your regulator fails, you have an immediate need to secure an alternate gas supply, and that would constitute an emergency situation.

Now if your regulator fails, you have an immediate need to secure an alternate gas supply, and that would constitute an emergency situation.

I will start out by apologizing, but I find myself getting confused over who is on what side of the fence and if they are arguing for.

By the above, I am interpreting your post to say that if your regulator fails and you cannot breathe, you have an emergency. Are you saying this to support a claim that is you run out of air in your tank and you cannot breathe, you do NOT have an emergency? Again I am confused by who is arguing to what point. If this is the case here, then it makes no sense. Out of air is out of air is out of air is out of air.

I will start out by apologizing, but I find myself getting confused over who is on what side of the fence and if they are arguing for.

By the above, I am interpreting your post to say that if your regulator fails and you cannot breathe, you have an emergency. Are you saying this to support a claim that is you run out of air in your tank and you cannot breathe, you do NOT have an emergency? Again I am confused by who is arguing to what point. If this is the case here, then it makes no sense. Out of air is out of air is out of air is out of air.

I probably stirred this up. I believe that nothing is an emergency until you no longer have a safe and reliable method of dealing with the problem.

This all assumes a recreational no-deco dive:

• A broken SPG or computer is not an emergency. The dive is over, and you do a normal ascent and surface with your buddy.
  • OOA with your buddy close by is not an emergency. The dive is over, you do an air sharing ascent and surface with your buddy.
  • OOA with your buddy not close by is not an emergency. The dive is over. You ascend to the surface, and attain positive buoyancy once there.

DiveDoug believes that the last option constitutes an emergency, while I do not. In fact, the last method was how many dives ended, only a few decades ago. I don't recommend running out of air as a good diving practice, but also don't beleive it rises to the level of "emergency"

It is certainly more risky than not running out of air, however given that divers pop up to the surface every day of the year with no damage, I don't believe it's a huge risk or that it constitutes an emergency.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom