Gas Compressor Snorkle questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for advice and recommendations for snorkle length and placement for running a gas engine powered compressor.

My concern is getting CO in the compressor intake.

Any other suggestions on how to avoid CO would be helpfull.

The one that comes standard on the MCH6 is 5 foot long. But I have seen them longer for "nervous" people.:D

The important thing to do is to make sure that you are up wind from the exhaust. The snorkel allows you to hang the intake above the compressor or move it around as the breeze changes direction.

The one that comes standard on the MCH6 is 5 foot long. But I have seen them longer for "nervous" people.:D

The important thing to do is to make sure that you are up wind from the exhaust. The snorkel allows you to hang the intake above the compressor or move it around as the breeze changes direction.

Thanks Ray,

So is up above a good thing?

I was reading that CO is about the same weight as air, so it should not rise, except it is heated. Thinking out loud here.

I am using a fan to blow the exhaust in the opposite direction.

The fan should work fine for you when there is power available. But when you are beach side, the snorkel would be called for. And where to hang it ... just have it upwind. As the breeze changes direction, so does the snorkel.

I am looking for advice and recommendations for snorkle length and placement for running a gas engine powered compressor.

My concern is getting CO in the compressor intake.

Any other suggestions on how to avoid CO would be helpfull.

Make sure any remote inlet is very generously sized. Any restriction on the inlet side will increase the effective compression ratio.

This quickly leads to much hotter gas hitting the filter media, and can contribute to CO and other contaminate production in the compressor.

I'd tap the inlet near the first stage and connect a vacuum gauge. Pretty much any vacuum is too much and means you need a larger dia remote inlet.

Tobin

Make sure any remote inlet is very generously sized. Any restriction on the inlet side will increase the effective compression ratio.

This quickly leads to much hotter gas hitting the filter media, and can contribute to CO and other contaminate production in the compressor.

I'd tap the inlet near the first stage and connect a vacuum gauge. Pretty much any vacuum is too much and means you need a larger dia remote inlet.

Tobin

Tobin, thanks for the tip, I will do that. I can hear cavitation sounds at the filter on the end of the snorkle. The tubing is 3/4 inch and about 15 feet long on a 6 cfm compressor.

Sounds waaaaay too small for 15 ft.

Tobin

Any suggestions, say 1 or 1 1/4 inch?

How about length, do you think 15 ft is too long?

Ray said the Coltri has a 5 foot snorkle, that seems pretty close to compressor, but maybe CO dilutes quickly.

Any suggestions, say 1 or 1 1/4 inch?

How about length, do you think 15 ft is too long?

Ray said the Coltri has a 5 foot snorkle, that seems pretty close to compressor, but maybe CO dilutes quickly.

Connect vacuum gauge at the inlet. Use that to size your remote intake. It cannot be too large.

Tobin

Connect vacuum gauge at the inlet. Use that to size your remote intake. It cannot be too large.

Tobin

OK, I'll set this up. So there is a 3/4 fitting at inlet of compressor, will it work if step that fitting up and add the vacuum guage there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom