Gary D.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My best wishes for a speedy recovery are going your way too Gary.
John P

First day back to work was awesome. Felt weird doing light duty but it was like a second place to what a couple do when the lights go out.

First off was a meeting with the civil Sgt. who gave me a rundown on what going down. Much different than it was just a couple of years ago. In the past civil focused on civil and that was it. Now the long guns go in the rigs, they have the new LED hidden lights, most of the patrol stuff stays in the rig and WE GET TO BE LEO’s. Now I’m getting excited but I know I’m going to miss my patrol team. White team was awesome and the best so it’s going to be hard leaving them. Officially I transfer on the 30th.

It was quite an interesting day and I’ll do a detailed post later once we confirm some stuff. It involves the SS on the lake if that gives you a hint.

First day of spring and we have 2” of snow that just fell. It’s going to be chilly on the lake today. Tough duty but someone has to do it. :D

The arm did ok. Better than I thought it would but it sure is letting me know it was there last night and so far today. Anybody have a low mileage one for sale? :wink:

Gary D.

Time for celebration.

Went to the doc today with my PT. They had a nice conversation about my treatment.

I told the doc about my transfer effective the 30th and he was pleased with my decision. I flat out told him that I didn’t know how long it would be before I hit 100% again and I didn’t feel I could protect my team, the public or adequately defend myself in a patrol position until then. He agreed with me saying it would be a long time before I would be ready for the daily rigors of patrol.

So I asked him about some hyperbaric treatments. He said they are good but he didn’t think it would benefit me in this case. So I ask about diving. After a short conversation he agreed and said; “GO DO SOME DIVE TESTS, DO THEM SHALLOW AT FIRST AND WITH SOMEONE YOU HAVE TOTAL TRUST IN”. He told me to take it slow because he didn’t know how the nerves in my arm were going to react to the pressure. He also added that I have help getting suited; do not throw the tanks over my head and for someone to hold my weight belt while I fasten it. I’ll go along with that.

So my LIGHT DUTY slip now says I’m restricted to lifting 20 pounds with my left arm once in a while, GO DIVING and I can work regular hours.

I don’t see the doc for 10 days but I have to call him every 3 days and report in. My PT is up to 3 times a week for how ever long.

Did I mention I can go DIVING? That works out great because we are doing a wreck dive on the 27th for team training and then going over to the chambers after words for a tour.

After being dry for nearly 4 months I just might have one of those things that make you feel real good. :D

Gary (soon to be wet) D.

Gary D., Congratulations on your progress. Being able to dive again must be thrill for you, amazing you got your doctor to sign a light duty slip that falls in line with diving. Is he a diver?

I've seen way too many docs that say "don't do anything I don't understand.

Gary D, you have a fine Doc. He's not saying "don't do anything". Hoo rah to your Doc.

And take care of yourself. Your buds will give you all the help you need to get wet. Don't try to
do it all yourself.

Randy, it would be the happy time just prior to snoring. :D

Chuck; the last time I was off was a lot of years ago with a knee injury. The Ortho Surgeon spent four months trying not to cut. During that time we were living the majority of the time on our boat so he wrote a prescription for me to dive as much as possible. That turned out to be 3 to 8 a day. After surgery he grounded me for a month until he learned I was diving dry. Then he changed his mind to three days topside then dive as much as I could handle. That was a no brainer.

We do have some cool docks up here. I just went through eight and they were all great.

41 hours to getting soaked. :chicken::monkeydan

Gary D.

Gary

Send your doc out my way. We have 1 that as soon as we say dive he says you will be off longer.so we no longer say the dive word.

13 :monkeydan:

Gary (soon to be wet) D.

yay gary! i hope you have some great dives.

get a copy of the latest 'dive training' - great article on public safety diving in it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom