Garmin MK2i - depth gauge issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacroFan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband purchased Garmin Mk2i with transmitter recently. After about 40 dives, during our dive trip in Asia, it started showing improbable depth - one time over 2000 ft. Even after reset it kept on recording wrong depth and he has had to rent a computer. Garmin is sending a replacement (though not paying for the rental cost).

My computer also died during this trip but it at least had a good life at over 500 dives. I was thinking of getting Garmin myself as I'd like a fitness tracker. However above issue has made me pause on this.

Has anyone heard whether this is a common problem? I must also add my husband takes care of his equipment and always soaks the computer in fresh water for hours after diving.

I haven't had any issues with my mk2i (not that my personal anecdotal evidence is worth anything), but the truth is electronics do fail.

Of course, reliability is extremely important, but unless there is a truly prevalent issue affecting a large number of users that suggests poor overall reliability (which I am not aware of and dont believe is the case here), the deciding factor for me is how the company reacts and responds. In this case, that seems to be the "right" way (replacement). Recently, someone in a group I am in had a similar issue with a newer Shearwater (about 50 dives), and they also replaced the computer promptly, so at least it seems both Garmin and Shearwater are on top of their service, and from my research, it seems both of them are well within reasonable reliability standards.

FYI, it's good practice to not charge any electronics with integrated batteries past ~85%, as stress increases disproportionately to efficiency past the ~85% mark. Likely unrelated, but just something useful for extending the life of common electronics like phones and watches with batteries that are non-replaceable (via simple means, anyway).

I also have the MK2i, but haven't experienced this issue. I have, however, been dealing with the altimeter never being right and even when I manually adjust to the correct altitude, within a few days its wonky again.

This is the only issue I have had with mine, so I would imagine that your husbands issue is isolated and I wouldn't let it prevent you from getting one. They are amazing computers, not only for diving (I love mine for hiking and mountaineering as well) and for the regular day working out and tracking sleep and stress patterns.

My dive buddy and I both dive the MK2i and compare stats to ensure that nothing is out of whack when it comes to recording of data or malfunctioning with our computers. We have never had any major differences which would warrant concern, so again, I think the issue is an isolated one.

Hoping they resolve it for you both quickly!

I also have the MK2i, but haven't experienced this issue. I have, however, been dealing with the altimeter never being right and even when I manually adjust to the correct altitude, within a few days its wonky again.

This is the only issue I have had with mine, so I would imagine that your husbands issue is isolated and I wouldn't let it prevent you from getting one. They are amazing computers, not only for diving (I love mine for hiking and mountaineering as well) and for the regular day working out and tracking sleep and stress patterns.

My dive buddy and I both dive the MK2i and compare stats to ensure that nothing is out of whack when it comes to recording of data or malfunctioning with our computers. We have never had any major differences which would warrant concern, so again, I think the issue is an isolated one.

Hoping they resolve it for you both quickly!
Descent G1 here and will use it for diving in August. I'll have a backup DC and will check depth to make sure they are in agreement.
Regarding the Altimeter, mine was thrown off when the barometric pressure changed. I used the following article to change the settings. I changed mine to Barometer only as my altitude in Detroit doesn't change by much. In stormy seasons, I am more interested in correct barometric pressure. If altitude is your priority, set it to Altimeter only. I believe the default is Auto.

Descent G1 Series - Altimeter Settings

Descent G1 here and will use it for diving in August. I'll have a backup DC and will check depth to make sure they are in agreement.
Regarding the Altimeter, mine was thrown off when the barometric pressure changed. I used the following article to change the settings. I changed mine to Barometer only as my altitude in Detroit doesn't change by much. In stormy seasons, I am more interested in correct barometric pressure. If altitude is your priority, set it to Altimeter only. I believe the default is Auto.

Descent G1 Series - Altimeter Settings
Thanks for the information! Totally appreciate it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom