Garmin In-reach mini as PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even a return signal doesn’t prove that anyone is actually coming, or will arrive in time. Better to have a good knife bandaged to your leg, than to rely on fancy technology.

This case looks awesome. Couple of questions:
  1. Is it neutral underwater?
  2. Do you need to open the case to access to the SOS button or can do it while in the case?

The fees for the inReach are off by a factor of 12 IMO. Annual fees of $24.95 would work, but not monthly. Every company is contributing to death by subscription and I am not participating.
Have you seen the price of a sat phone?
txting access to the iridium network for contacting friends and family and then the SOS button is a bargain in the wilderness.

It's not a good ocean diver rescue tool compared to a PLB which is purpose designed for that purpose

Have you seen the price of a sat phone?
txting access to the iridium network for contacting friends and family and then the SOS button is a bargain in the wilderness.

Yes, I have used both inReach and a sat phone in the wilderness more than once. I rented the sat phone though, as they are too expensive to own IMO. I don't consider the two devices interchangeable though. The sat phone has a voice component, which is nice, but the inReach has a tracking component, which is even better. The in Reach wins by a mile for weight, which is important for backpacking. Overall I much prefer the inReach. That said, $25/month is a crazy high amount of money. They are simply being greedy and I think that will limit the market somewhat. I notice they do have a cheaper plan -- $11.95 -- but it does not include tracking, which is really the best feature outside of the rescue button. I would probably sign up at $10/mo with tracking.

Soon Tesla's satellite network will be fully functional, I'm hoping that will break the monopoly a little bit.

If you are looking at getting an InReach Mini, be aware that the InReach Mini 2 just came out. I bought one yesterday for $400 at REI. After a major medical event just after completing a remote and difficult hike, I decided $11.95/month is tolerable. The Mini 2 has a few nice changes -- longer battery life and more satellite access being the major ones IMO. If you don't need those the original Mini will likely be discounted soon. They use the same housings so the SCUBA case is the same. I do plan to take mine diving.

I liked the Garmin at DEMA... I think I'm sold on it.
When my life depends on it, I think I'd rather have NOAA's resources directing my location rather than a private company without access to the satellites. Look into it a little more, I think you'll agree. We use the Inreach when we are cruising in our sailboat, but that's about. I have an EPIRB for emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom