Garmin In-reach mini as PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, took some pics. Didn't get real scientific with the measurements but it should give you some idea of the size of this thing. If anyone is looking for something specific, let me know and I'll do my best to make it happen.

Case3.jpg
Case4.jpg
Case5.jpg
Case1.jpg
Case2.jpg

Nice pictures!

In case you haven't considered, tether the device to the case internal and the case to your BCD.

You know, I haven't had much time to mess with the device or the case since I received them but from a quick glance inside, I believe there is a tether built in. I'll have to look a little closer and let you know for sure.

Looks like you have to remove it from the housing to use it? The latches on the canister cover the buttons.

I have the larger GPS version. I don't consider the in-reach nearly as suitable for water rescues as an EPIRB or PLB. I can barely even message with mine unless I synch it with bluetooth to my phone. I guess it better than nothing. At least the canister is small.

If I remember correctly, there is a way to activate it through the housing as an emergency beacon only. To text, though, you do have to remove it.

*edit: Looking at the manual, you have to lift a cap on the unit in order to activate SOS so I don't think you can do that while it is in the housing.

I'm going to look at it closer this evening after work (meant to do that last night but got busy and didn't get to it).

**edit #2: From the Inreach Mini manual:

You can access some inReach Mini inReach Mini features using another compatible device with ANT+ wireless technology, such as the fēnix® watch. You can use remote control to view incoming messages, send preset messages, start and stop tracking, and initiate or cancel an SOS.

So, I would imagine that if you have a Garmin Descent dive watch, you should be able to activate SOS without opening the canister. This is not 100% confirmed but I would be surprised if it was not the case. My guy on the inside for the Descent has been working from home for several weeks (along with 90% of our workforce) because of COVID so I haven't been able to talk to him but will be bugging him as soon as he comes back to the office.

That looks great! I just ordered one.

I'm looking forward to being able to put it in a pocket. For comparison, here's photos of it against the Custom Divers canister.

20200415_212725~2.jpg
20200415_212736~2.jpg

That looks great! I just ordered one.

I'm looking forward to being able to put it in a pocket. For comparison, here's photos of it against the Custom Divers canister.

That's a really nice canister but yeah, you're going to like the size of the Garmin housing in comparison.

BTW, PLB1 with Dimensions 2" Width x 3" Height x 1.28" Depth with its floating jacket would fit into that Custom Diver Canister and it's free subscription using SAR satellites.

PLB1.JPG

BTW, PLB1 with Dimensions 2" Width x 3" Height x 1.28" Depth with its floating jacket would fit into that Custom Diver Canister and it's free subscription using SAR satellites.
I was thinking of filling it with a VHF radio but I'm not sure if any come that size.

I was thinking of filling it with a VHF radio but I'm not sure if any come that size.
My old, no-longer-made, VHF radio fits inside, if I take the antenna off of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom