Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read about the watch, the diving has same multiple data pages as other activities? If that's the case, presumably people can create 1- or 2-data field pages with the most important information? Arguably, this is no where as good as having everything on one page, but can still seriously help some people.

It does display multiple different data pages. In my experience this isn't too uncommon. I was diving the Scubapro M2 for a while. The M2 has a dizzying number of screens (too many IMO)

My other main computer I dive is the Scubapro G2. If configured, it also has similar multi-page functionality allowing you to have larger text.

my only real gripe is really battery life.. not about how long it can last till the next charge .. more rather how long the rechargeable battery will last till i have to change it..
right now, i have friends that bought a dive comp 10+ years ( those cost 1K+ as well, back then) also still using the same dive watch, and it just need a simple battery change ( a CRXXX battery, mind you) and they are off again to at least another year of diving or so. of course, those are pure dive computer only... no other 'special' in them.

air integration?... pffft...

my only real gripe is really battery life.. not about how long it can last till the next charge .. more rather how long the rechargeable battery will last till i have to change it..

For what it's worth, I have Garmin Fenix 3 from about 3 years ago, which battery still goes strong.

But then Fenix watches have probably the longest lasting batteries among multisport watches: I'm used to getting 2-3 weeks on a single charge, no less than 10-12 days with multiple GPS-enabled runs every week, strength training sessions with heart rate strap, and Bluetooth connectivity to the phone.

So, even if the battery life degrades over time, it should still be years before the watch becomes worthless. I'm fairly certain technology would outpace it many times before then. That is, you'll stop using it as a smartwatch, or a multisport watch, or an activity tracker, and will just rely on it as a backup dive computer or something.

Still, I do wonder how Garmin got people desensitized to these ridiculous price points. I remember paying about $300 for Forerunner 315XT about 8 years ago and it seemed like an insane amount of money for a brick of a running watch that looks funny even on your run. I know $999 isn't uncommon for just a dedicated dive computer. But then, as you mentioned, you will be using a dive computer for many-many years, and this product will become obsolete in probably 3-4 years.

right now, i have friends that bought a dive comp 10+ years ( those cost 1K+ as well, back then) also still using the same dive watch, and it just need a simple battery change ( a CRXXX battery, mind you) and they are off again to at least another year of diving or so. of course, those are pure dive computer only... no other 'special' in them.

air integration?... pffft...

two things going against it.
Batteries that are easily user replaceable are not as space efficient as one that isn't
Battery compartments impart a massive size penalty to the device to have long enough battery life.

This thing draws a massive amount of power compared to a Casio display. Sure those things can run for a year or more on a single coin cell, but that's because they consume no power. No WIFI transmitter, no Bluetooth, no color screen, etc. Those things all suck massive amounts of power and simple aren't practical to use.

In something like this, they have to seal the compartment to get a respectable battery life while maintaining a small form factor, it simply isn't an option to have a user changeable battery. Note this is in the "easy" sense like changing one in a Shearwater *who has gone to an internal battery for the NERD 2 to get rid of the big box that it used to have... Kept basically the same form factor on the face, but got rid of a box the size of a deck of cards and only cut the battery life in half. Not too shabby

Is Garmin known for its good support and interaction with end users for providing, pre and post, sales support and answering technical questions concerning its products?

I think they are getting better. A few years ago, you had to wait for 2-3 days to receive a boilerplate nonsense reply from support. Now you still have to wait 2-3 days :rofl3: but the replies at least indicate a somewhat sentient being. Haven't tried their phone support. Their chat, when works, was actually real good. The person on the other end was well informed about the product and helped me out.

Then they have forums with plenty of people helping each other, sharing news, workarounds, and what not. Occasionally, Garmin deigns to look in there too.

... dive equipment manufacturers better take note. Garmin entering the dive industry will almost certainly reshape the landscape.

At a thousand bucks for a basic DC + compass in a form factor that's too small to see for most of us? Call me when they're selling it for 80% off on Thank-Black-Cyber-Christ-muy-especial.

At a thousand bucks for a basic DC + compass in a form factor that's too small to see for most of us? Call me when they're selling it for 80% off on Thank-Black-Cyber-Christ-muy-especial.

I'm with you on the air integration, but remember how it took a while to get Shearwater to introduce AI? Keep in mind that this is a 1.0 product and will likely be used to gauge interest and garner feedback for future products. I would see this move as the first foray of a major wearable/electronics manufacturer into the dive industry. If Garmin chooses to throw their weight (and capital) into making dive computers, they will become a major player very quickly.

I would see this move as the first foray of a major wearable/electronics manufacturer into the dive industry. If Garmin chooses to throw their weight (and capital) into making dive computers, they will become a major player very quickly.
I can only add that just like Garmin has ridiculously priced dedicated running watches like Forerunner 935 that sells for $499, they also have simpler ones like Forerunner 35 that're just $199. Both come with GPS, hours of battery life, and activity tracking. It is possible next year Garmin will introduce Mk2 with AI and Mini-Mk2 that will be a basic dive computer along the lines of Cressi Leonardo, but with all the Garmin Connect integration for dive logs, activity tracking, and what not.

The question they might be asking themselves: if we could charge people $500+ for an effectively GPS-enabled device that tracks distance - AND - force them upgrade every few years, can we do the same with a depth-tracking device?

People used to upgrade their TVs once in a quarter century. Then HDTVs came, and upgrade cycle shortened to about 5-8 years, now with all the 1080p and 4K many upgrade every few years. The current crop of the dive computers are slated to become CRT TVs of the days past. Or at least, that's what Garmin wants. Wait till Apple catches up! They probably already trademarked iDive and think AI stands for Apple Integrated. Why do you think iPhone X is waterproof? :wink:

Garmin could well be a game changer in the dive computer biss.

They have the money, the tech expertise, the long range view.

Garmin is just in the early stages in dive computers.

They will be a very formidable competitor.

They will do it at their own pace.

The dive market is very small in comparison to their other markets.

garim

Back
Top Bottom