Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen a direct link yet to James Blackman's fairly thorough review.

tl;dw: excellent overall, hard to outgrow, a few annoyances, Teric-killer.

I recently picked up a Perdix AI that hasn't gotten wet yet -- if I had the gorilla arms that appear necessary to wear it as a daily watch, I'd probably flip my Perdix and get one. Since I have stick-figure arms, nope.

I'm not sure if "Teric-killer" is your opinion or that of the video reviewer. But, as long as it costs $400 more than a Teric, there is no way it will kill it. Even if it was the same price, I don't believe it would kill it. TBH, I'm not sure it's going to make a dent in Teric sales that Shearwater will even notice.

Well, it might. For me, a potential Teric customer for sure, this device does indeed "kill" any desire for the Teric. I have not bought the Garmin yet, mainly because I am setting aside money for it.

The "Teric-Killer" is not necessarily true on a dive computer to dive computer basis. I would rate them as equals. The Garmin has its distinct advantages (battery life, transmitter range, customizable `screen layout and readability in sunlight) as does the Teric (screen readability and sharpness underwater, established track record) They each also have imperfections as well.

But, adding the non-diving capabilities, the Garmin becomes the hands down winner. For "active lifestyle" people like me, this makes a big difference. In a single device, I have one of the best dive computers made. I also have what is widely considered "best in class" capability as a backpacking/hiking watch with gps, topo maps, routing, altitude, etc. For driving, offroading, photography and general exploring, I have precise mapping and the ability to tag locations. For my canoeing and paddleboarding, I have the same and also programs to track my strokes, heart rate, etc. In remote wilderness areas, and also drift diving or liveaboards, I have the ability to link to the InReach system with the tiny In-reach satellite/gps device that fits in a diving case as well, a powerful rescue device with two way communication including text messages to the boat captain.

For my cycling, I have a complete cycling computer.

For general workouts, I get profiles and complete physical data. For "health tracking" I get daily calories, O2 monitoring, heartrate, etc--anything I want.

Let alone some of the "smart watch" features such as music, cardless payment, email and text alerts and things like that which I never had before since I never have owned a smart watch.

Previously, you would have needed 3-4 devices (dive computer, fitness watch, satellite mapping/communicator, smart watch, PLB) to have all of this. Now, you get this in a single device, which costs far less than a Teric plus these other devices.

Let alone the incredible battery life that Garmin has achieved--the Teric is essentially useless as a daily watch due to the battery issue, as I do not want to charge my watch every 3-4 days.

As for the transmitter "song" for pairing, I think that is more directed towards instructors who are monitoring multiple students' gas supplies. It is a way for the instructor to be positive that the transmitter identified to a particular student on the computer is actually the one attached to the student's tank. For general diving I agree that it would not be typically used after the very first pairing, unless the pairing was lost for some reason.

I am waiting to hear more feedback from people about the "beeping" during the dive. Since the transmitter is just now becoming available, will probably have to wait a few weeks and hopefully some folks will post their experiences with it.

@guyharrisonphoto Where are you getting that the Mk2 can replace a PLB or satcom? It can work with their satcom/“PLB” but the watch itself isn’t a PLB nor is it a satcom

Diving is hard on gear, I wouldn’t want to take my every day smart watch diving, but that is just me within a year I have noticeable rash on any of my dive equipment including my dive computers.

But, adding the non-diving capabilities, the Garmin becomes the hands down winner. For "active lifestyle" people like me, this makes a big difference.

You make a strong case for that demographic - the active lifestyle person with a broad range of activities who views using the watch as a tool in those as a plus.

What about all the 'inactive lifestyle' people who don't do any of that? And many people already have a smart watch. Or don't like wearing 'watches' that cost over a grand in daily life.

Sometimes products with a large number of 'bells and whistles' (features) can be a bit more confusing to use, because there are more icon buttons, items in menus, etc... Sometimes it's nice to have a product that only does what I want...albeit everything I want and does it well.

Putting aside the price difference, if someone only wants it to serve as a dive computer, is the MK2 as simple and intuitive, as 'easy' to use as the Teric?

I'm not sure if "Teric-killer" is your opinion or that of the video reviewer. But, as long as it costs $400 more than a Teric, there is no way it will kill it. Even if it was the same price, I don't believe it would kill it. TBH, I'm not sure it's going to make a dent in Teric sales that Shearwater will even notice.

"Teric-killer" is my paraphrase of James's content. The price difference is material -- to some folks. To others, it's not, and if the price difference shrinks as availability increases, I think it'll make a significant dent. Garmin has a reach and depth that, if they apply it to this segment, could be pretty influential; last year Garmin overall did almost USD 4 billion in revenue with a 60% GM and 25% NM. Not bad, and a lot of infrastructure to draw upon.

[@guyharrisonphoto makes] a strong case for that demographic - the active lifestyle person with a broad range of activities who views using the watch as a tool in those as a plus.
[...]
Putting aside the price difference, if someone only wants it to serve as a dive computer, is the MK2 as simple and intuitive, as 'easy' to use as the Teric?

You're being very rationalist about the consumer mindset. If dive consumers were pure rationalists, all dive gear would be black. Large portions of the target market may never use all the complications -- but that's who they'd like to see themselves as. (How many people buying Omega Seamasters are actually government assassins? Or divers, for that matter?)

"Teric-killer" is my paraphrase of James's content. The price difference is material -- to some folks. To others, it's not, and if the price difference shrinks as availability increases, I think it'll make a significant dent. Garmin has a reach and depth that, if they apply it to this segment, could be pretty influential; last year Garmin overall did almost USD 4 billion in revenue with a 60% GM and 25% NM. Not bad, and a lot of infrastructure to draw upon.

Some big IF's. I've been using Garmin products for something like 20 years.

The market of scuba divers who will pay over $1,000 for a dive computer is, I think, extremely small. EXTREMELY small, by Garmin's standards. And, I think, for many of them, the "tech" capabilities of the Descent are not all that important. But, things like screen size and ability for older eyes to read it is very important. So, I imagine that quite a few of the people who are willing to spend >$1K are just as likely to choose something like an Atomic Cobalt 2 or a Suunto Eon Core or Eon Steel. Or even a Perdix AI.

I mean, let's face it. In scuba diving, the population has an axis of Age, and an axis of Disposable Income. And, where Disposible Income is a larger value, Age also tends to be a larger value as well. There just aren't THAT many young, active scuba divers who also have a large amount of disposable income. It's a group of non-trivial size, but it's not large, either. And the entire scuba market isn't THAT large.

I do not expect the price difference between a Teric and a Mk2i to shrink much, if any. I mean, it's not like Garmin is going to lower their price. And, historically, Shearwater doesn't seem to raise the computer prices once released.

I also don't think Garmin is going to apply some "depth or reach" to the dive computer market that is not already embodied in the Mk2i. How much "effort" did they invest in the OG Descent AFTER it was released? From what I can tell, very little.

You make a strong case for that demographic - the active lifestyle person with a broad range of activities who views using the watch as a tool in those as a plus.

What about all the 'inactive lifestyle' people who don't do any of that? And many people already have a smart watch. Or don't like wearing 'watches' that cost over a grand in daily life.

Sometimes products with a large number of 'bells and whistles' (features) can be a bit more confusing to use, because there are more icon buttons, items in menus, etc... Sometimes it's nice to have a product that only does what I want...albeit everything I want and does it well.

Hi Stuart. If I was comparing "dive computers only" then the Teric would not even be in the running. It would be either the Perdix AI or the Scubapro G2. For precisely the reason you mentioned--large displays and ease of viewing (yes, I have "older eyes"). And, if I wanted only a dive-dedicated device, it would be one of those and not the Garmin. I don't really care for "watch size" in a dive computer.

It is the attractiveness of the Garmin as a multi-feature device (I regularly do the things I mentioned above) that tips the balance. As for "inactive" people, are they putting a lot of money into diving? Sure, it is not going to be worth it to them if their only sport is diving. As for cost, I suppose I could get a Perdix AI with transmitter for about $1285 (DGX price). Garmin with transmitter is 1900. So, a cost difference of $615. Garmin fenix 6s is 799 and is basically everything the Descent is, except for the diving capabilities. So, that and the Perdix would total 2,085--not much more. But, you do lose a few things (GPS logging of shore or boat dive entry/exit points, InReach integration with the Descent as a dive safety feature, integrating my activity while diving into my daily health data). I am more inclined to save a little and have everything rolled into one device and I certainly wouldn't mind wearing it as my daily watch. I don't drag through wrecks/caves or grapple with lobsters under reefs. I hang in the water, run my scooter, take photos and generally stay off the bottom. So the potential for scratching/dinging the watch is less of a concern for me. But I can see where some folks might want a dive computer to trash that is not their daily watch.

As for whether the Garmin or Teric is easiest or more intuitive, I have only had shop time with them, not dive time. But, it seems pretty clear that the Garmin's display organization will be more useful and easier to understand than the Teric's during the dive, mainly due to its customizability. On the Garmin, you can put heading or temp on the top in "small" unobtrusive font but still readable and useful. Next line is larger font for "gas" info and will show pressure and GTR. Third line is "Deco Info" and displays NDL and depth in the largest font. Bottom is small font and shows dive time. The four most important life-safety items for any dive (pressure, GTR, NDL, depth) are large and front-and center. The second-level important info (time) is also shown but less obtrusive. One tap and you are in the excellent compass screen, much bigger and more useful that Teric and also shows depth and NDL (I did not have time to see if you could add pressure to that screen as well).

Teric is just not as well laid out. Depth is huge. Time is huge--not necessary. The actual key life-safety information--NDL and tank pressure--are tiny and in the middle. Not good. Compass comes up in the middle row and hides NDL and tank pressure. Or, you have to go to a tiny font layout to see both the compass and NDL/Pressure at the same time. Either way, not good. The "huge" numbers should be depth and NDL with time and pressure on the middle row, Or, depth and pressure huge with time and NDL on the middle row, but you cannot set either of these up as a custom display.

The Teric seduces with is beauty. Bright, crisp, colorful, the compass flows like water--just a joy to look at (but not in sunlight!). But, for giving me the critical stuff "at a glance" without having to "look for" the info in the small fonts--the Garmin will win.

The Shearwater design is influenced by old school tech diving the most important information is your depth and your time. That being said the size isn't that much bigger than the middle two row fonts (unless you combine GTR/T1/T2 to one line). Maybe one is a size 12 and the other is a size 10. Also you can put the compass on the screen without using any of the middle row items, just select the north arrow to rotate around the screen, which us good enough for most underwater navigation.

Now I do agree the compass screen with the deco and other information is a bit better than the Teric's compass screen. But personally the only reason I visit the compass screen is to turn on the arrow or turn it off.

Hi Stuart. If I was comparing "dive computers only" then the Teric would not even be in the running. It would be either the Perdix AI or the Scubapro G2. For precisely the reason you mentioned--large displays and ease of viewing (yes, I have "older eyes"). And, if I wanted only a dive-dedicated device, it would be one of those and not the Garmin. I don't really care for "watch size" in a dive computer.

It is the attractiveness of the Garmin as a multi-feature device (I regularly do the things I mentioned above) that tips the balance. As for "inactive" people, are they putting a lot of money into diving? Sure, it is not going to be worth it to them if their only sport is diving. As for cost, I suppose I could get a Perdix AI with transmitter for about $1285 (DGX price). Garmin with transmitter is 1900. So, a cost difference of $615. Garmin fenix 6s is 799 and is basically everything the Descent is, except for the diving capabilities. So, that and the Perdix would total 2,085--not much more. But, you do lose a few things (GPS logging of shore or boat dive entry/exit points, InReach integration with the Descent as a dive safety feature, integrating my activity while diving into my daily health data). I am more inclined to save a little and have everything rolled into one device and I certainly wouldn't mind wearing it as my daily watch. I don't drag through wrecks/caves or grapple with lobsters under reefs. I hang in the water, run my scooter, take photos and generally stay off the bottom. So the potential for scratching/dinging the watch is less of a concern for me. But I can see where some folks might want a dive computer to trash that is not their daily watch.

As for whether the Garmin or Teric is easiest or more intuitive, I have only had shop time with them, not dive time. But, it seems pretty clear that the Garmin's display organization will be more useful and easier to understand than the Teric's during the dive, mainly due to its customizability. On the Garmin, you can put heading or temp on the top in "small" unobtrusive font but still readable and useful. Next line is larger font for "gas" info and will show pressure and GTR. Third line is "Deco Info" and displays NDL and depth in the largest font. Bottom is small font and shows dive time. The four most important life-safety items for any dive (pressure, GTR, NDL, depth) are large and front-and center. The second-level important info (time) is also shown but less obtrusive. One tap and you are in the excellent compass screen, much bigger and more useful that Teric and also shows depth and NDL (I did not have time to see if you could add pressure to that screen as well).

Teric is just not as well laid out. Depth is huge. Time is huge--not necessary. The actual key life-safety information--NDL and tank pressure--are tiny and in the middle. Not good. Compass comes up in the middle row and hides NDL and tank pressure. Or, you have to go to a tiny font layout to see both the compass and NDL/Pressure at the same time. Either way, not good. The "huge" numbers should be depth and NDL with time and pressure on the middle row, Or, depth and pressure huge with time and NDL on the middle row, but you cannot set either of these up as a custom display.

The Teric seduces with is beauty. Bright, crisp, colorful, the compass flows like water--just a joy to look at (but not in sunlight!). But, for giving me the critical stuff "at a glance" without having to "look for" the info in the small fonts--the Garmin will win.

Hey guy, the post you quoted was not me. But, some of the comments you address were, I think, from me.

I don't want this thread to get redirected into a Descent vs Teric/Perdix/XYZ thread. But, I do want to address a couple of things I feel like mischaracterize the Teric, just to preserve the integrity here for anyone that is reading this thread later and doesn't know otherwise.

I'm 54. I have Old Man Eyes. When I got my first Teric, I was diving it side by side with my Perdix AI for a while. I found that in actual use, I could read the Teric just as easily as my Perdix. And that is with the Teric set to Normal mode - not Big mode. I've said it before and I'll say it again now: I think it is a mistake to knock the Teric for being "too small" until you have at least done a few dives with it. Without that experience, you just don't really know. That is why, after triving the Teric and Perdix side by side for a few months, I bought a second Teric and sold the Perdix - even though I also have Old Man Eyes.

With the Teric you do not lose the ability to capture GPS coordinates for entry/exit points. You just lose the ability to capture them with your dive computer. I used the Subsurface-mobile app to capture that info, which integrates it right into my dive log that I download from my dive computer.

You can carry an InReach. A Teric diver can carry a PLB. Either way, it's an extra piece of gear and each one has Pros and Cons. The InReach is not a clear winner over a PLB.

I have not seen a compass on a dive computer that I think is remotely as handy as the way the Teric will display North and your Marked heading as arrows that float around the rim of the display. The only compass I find better/easier to use is using my NERD2 and having it display the compass on the bottom row. But, that is because it is a HUD.

Regarding the UI and usability, I think the Teric UI is more configurable than you have given it credit for, but I could be wrong. I also find it to be highly usable, showing me everything I need in a format I find easy to understand at a glance. If you actually did a few days of diving with a Teric, I think your opinion might possibly change. It really does have a nice, easy to use, UI - in my opinion.

I haven't said anything about the Descent here. I really don't care which one you buy, either. I have considered buying a Fenix 6. I may yet. But, I haven't used one, or a Descent, so I have no comment on their usability, readability, or UI.

Hi Stuart,

Yes, I wish I could do a "try dive" with each as you are very right that only a dive will tell for sure. I know that in the shop I much preferred the Perdix to either the Teric or the Garmin on an absolute "computer to computer" basis (due to size of the display). But "watch to watch" I preferred the Garmin. I found the compass "floating" thing on the Teric odd and confusing and probably would not use it much. I would rather bring up the full compass even if it means hiding NDL and gas for 10 seconds, although doing that a lot during the dive is a pain. On about a quarter of my dives I like having the compass on all the time.

My preferred shop in Jupiter sells both Shearwater and Garmin. I wonder if they will let me borrow one of each from one of their instructors for a dive. If they do I will check back in here with my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom