Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one app on my phone (i messed around with the subsurface app but I don't find a use for it on my phone, just on my pc).
It has all my run/dive/hike/bike data on it.
So you don't have the Garmin Dive app on your phone? How useful is the Garmin Connect app for dive data?

But what research is that tracking based on? That's what worries me. Has there been any research into this?
They have long said you should acclimate a day or so before diving at altitude though of course the main reason is most likely hypoxia which i saw a lot of skydiving in Utah. There is also the fact that you can get dcs from altitudes above 18000 feet. I would definitely like to see more data on this as well and will log some things on my next unpressurized flight.

The increase i saw going up to 7000 and how it took overnight to come back down seemed reasonable calculations considering what I have read and no other dive computer takes this into consideration. It does seem like it takes longer for the levels to lower versus the same readings from a dive.

Maybe its not 100% accurate but I believe it gives a better view of whats happening than other computers that I have used.

So you don't have the Garmin Dive app on your phone? How useful is the Garmin Connect app for dive data?
Its just as useful even more so if you want to view all your activity on the calendar, just not as clean cut as the dive app.. The dive app is solely dive data but all the info is there in the connect app as well even the pictures I attach to the dives.

It is nice that I can ammend info in either app and it updates both.

They have long said you should acclimate a day or so before diving at altitude though of course the main reason is most likely hypoxia which i saw a lot of skydiving in Utah. There is also the fact that you can get dcs from altitudes above 18000 feet. I would definitely like to see more data on this as well and will log some things on my next unpressurized flight.
I'm not doubting that there can be issues with altitude and it is obvious there will be but what are the calculations based on? How accurate will it be? It may not be accurate at all.

It is the same with flying after diving. No real research as been done. There has been some recent studies but the data are not conclusive other than to suggest some people may be fine with waiting as little as 18 hours while others may need 36 hours.

Its just as useful even more so if you want to view all your activity on the calendar, just not as clean cut as the dive app.. The dive app is solely dive data but all the info is there in the connect app as well even the pictures I attach to the dives.

It is nice that I can ammend info in either app and it updates both.
I've had an Mk1 for almost 3 years. While what is available in Garmin Connect (and now the Garmin Dive app) has improved over the time, it is still terrible. I still can't enter a meaningful SAC.

I'm not doubting that there can be issues with altitude and it is obvious there will be but what are the calculations based on? How accurate will it be? It may not be accurate at all.

It is the same with flying after diving. No real research as been done. There has been some recent studies but the data are not conclusive other than to suggest some people may be fine with waiting as little as 18 hours while others may need 36 hours.

I've had an Mk1 for almost 3 years. While what is available in Garmin Connect (and now the Garmin Dive app) has improved over the time, it is still terrible. I still can't enter a meaningful SAC.
I think you could wait as little as a mere couple of hours depending on your nitrogen loading and the fat man with a yellow hat might be more inclined for a dcs hit on the plane over a guy in skinny jeans.

Who knows on their calculations to me its a Suunto black box there. I only know that from watching it at altitudes it seems quite reasonable calculations and adding some padding to my altitude dives.

I personally like the apps..mostly... and how they function.

Oh SAC...yeah not sure what is up with that one... at least it seems to be a thing on mk2...

Oh SAC...yeah not sure what is up with that one... at least it seems to be a thing on mk2...
It is the app that has the problem with SAC, not the device.

First of all, if I enter the starting pressure and ending pressure, the app has all the information required to calculate the SAC - but it doesn't. It makes me enter in it myself. But with Garmin Connect, I can only enter integers. My SAC ranges between 0.6 and 1.5 bar/min so what is the point of only letting me enter an integer?

Garmin Dive doesn't calculate SAC, either. It does let me enter it with one decimal place but really 2 is needed to be of any significance.

It is the app that has the problem with SAC, not the device.
Yes i realize that the Apps are the issue with SAC..which again i don't know whats up with that.
I didnt mean to imply that it was an issue with the mk1 as it has no input/output options for that anyhow..

But since the mk2 does it all by itself on the fly it make sense that it would at the very least export the data from the mk2 into the apps. No more messing around with that or adding tank pressures..well.. id hope.. I haven't seen the app update yet.

Garmin Descent™ T1 Transmitter | Diving

Looks like the Pod uses both ANT and sonar.

Have they been selling just the computer or did they have any pods as well?
I did not go to see it but they emailed me and told me on the phine that they had all the verisions IIRC.

The air Integration transmitter uses sonar underwater and ANT on the surface. The descent reads Heart rate underwater and on the surface on the wrist and does not need a chest strap, although it can use one on the surface or swimming but none of the chest straps are pressure rated for diving.

The descent reads Heart rate underwater and on the surface on the wrist and does not need a chest strap, although it can use one on the surface or swimming but none of the chest straps are pressure rated for diving.
But it can ONLY display HR in real time if worn on the wrist. Might be fine in warm water but in cold water most people have their wrists covered with an exposure suit.

With a wetsuit I always wear my watch under the cuff. And I don't dive in cold or deep or crappy water any longer, I had a little too much of that already. I like the Garmin Mk1, but I doubt if I will get the Mk2, because I don't need it, even though I can get a significant discount through a professional organization. It is rare that I dive past 70 feet or so unless there is an emergency at work on the submarine which has never happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom