Garmin Descent Mk1 Maximum Depth display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moose_grunt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Descent Mk1 last weekend to replace my recently-deceased computer. I've put a few dives on it, read the manual, etc.

Am I missing something, or is there no maximum depth displayed on any of the info screens while diving? I see it in the log afterwards, but haven't seen it on any of the info screens while diving, or any of the settings for the dive function.

Thanks,
Jim

It doesn't display maximum depth during the dive in Single Gas or Multiple Gas modes. Yeah.. dumb.

It will display in Gauge Mode while diving.

Thanks, glad I'm not just stupid and can't read the computer correctly.

It is kinda weird that you get all sorts of other information, like time of day, heart rate, water temp, etc., and not maximum depth. I suppose that max depth is a holdover from using tables though, and knowing that number doesn't really affect a dive with the computer. You're going to follow its deco no matter what the max depth is. You might need max depth if you were using deco tables, but then you'd probably just dive in gauge mode. If you were using backup tables, then you'd need a backup device anyways (and hopefully that shows backup depth, or you planned your dive/dove your plan or at least paid attention at the deepest part of the dive).

Still, kinda weird--I think this is the first device I've had that doesn't show the max depth during a dive (heck, I've used some analog gauges that had the max depth needle).

Jim

I'm guessing it is because the screen is relatively small and they couldn't fit it on - but that would be easily fixed by adding another screen you could switch to.

The descent MK I does track your max depth. If you want it displayed you just program the display. Multiple display screens can be used. After your dive the Descent links through your smart phone to Garmin connect online and has the max depth indicated.

If you want it displayed you just program the display. Multiple display screens can be used.

How? The Dive Settings only has things like gas, setpoint, alarms, conservatism, etc. The menu -> settings -> Activities&Apps -> (dive mode) -> Data Screens only lets you change the order of the three screens, or add the stopwatch as a fourth screen. I'm not seeing anywhere that lets you change what is displayed on each of the screens. Is there yet another place to change these settings?

Appreciate the help!
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom