Garmin Descent MK1 Comparison Graphs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ATJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was bored today because it's too rough to dive so I put some charts together comparing the Descent MK1 with my Shearwater Perdix AI (and Citizen Hyper Aqualand and Oceanic Atom 3.0).

I've only had the chance to do one dive so far with the Descent MK1 so I'm using that dive.

Here is the depth comparison between the Descent MK1 which was on my left wrist and the Perdix AI which was mounted on my camera rig. I usually hold my camera rig horizontal in front of me with my left hand so the two devices will be in the same plane most of the time. There would be some cases where I may use my left hand to steady myself while taking photos (with my right hand) which I think explains the few deviations.

Dive2018031809The_Steps-Depth2.jpg

The water temperature comparison is between the Descent, Perdix, Hyper Aqualand and Atom 3.0. Oceanic dive computers are notorious for reading low. The Perdix typically takes a while to catch up with the water temperature but once it does is close to both the Garmin and the Citizen. I regard the Citizen as being most accurate but it only records the water temperature every 5 minutes.

Dive2018031809The_Steps-Temperature.jpg

The NDL comparison is just between the Descent and Perdix. Both are on the same conservatism (Medium) and so it is expected they'd be pretty close.

Dive2018031809The_Steps-NDL.jpg

Attachments

• Dive2018031809The_Steps-Temperature.jpg
    Dive2018031809The_Steps-Temperature.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 43
Very interesting.

How did you extract the NDL history for the third graph?

The spike at 23 minutes illustrates the extreme sensitivity of NDL times. 2m shallower on a bimble and the NDL jumps more than 50%.

How did you extract the NDL history for the third graph?
For the Perdix it is available from Shearwater Desktop if you export as CSV (or the other formats, too).

For the Descent, I imported the FIT file into Diving Log 6.0 and exported Profile 4 as CSV.

Back
Top Bottom