galveston area shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During the 11 years I lived in Galveston, I tried local diving numerous times. I couldn't afford to go offshore due to medical school. My in-laws lived on Offatt's Bayou and had a dock off which things would occasionally get lost. None of them ever got found, except a largish anchor which I kicked after giving up ever finding it. Visibility was usually around a foot or so. The beaches are fairly nondescript sand out farther than you can stand to swim. Because the bottom slope is so shallow, waves kick up sand way out. I really wanted to find some local place to dive, but couldn't. Sorry.

shaggie:
Since you mention jetties, I've always wondered if would be worth while to dive around the North Jettie at Port A?

Nah, I've snorkeled both sides in late summer, when the water's the calmest. Too much fishing line and debris either way, and the vis is poor. It's far more satisfying to shell out the cash for an offshore trip, heck diving Lake Travis is more fun.

archman:
Well, there's always Offat's Bayou off 61st street. 8-10 foot visibility when it's not too stirred up. It used to be commonly used by local divers, back before everyone started turning into wussies.:D

Count me along with the wussies! That kind of vis makes diving pointless, IMHO. But I guess the blue-water-only divers could say the same thing about Lake Travis.

shaggie:
Since you mention jetties, I've always wondered if would be worth while to dive around the North Jettie at Port A?

You cannot get to St. Joe's by car. Take the pedestrian ferry. 2 dollars two ways last time I checked. If you have a boat you can't use the landing dock but you can pull around the north side of the jettie and anchor as close to the beach as you feel comfortable. Do not try in heavy surf. Here's a pic. I got of Joe's going off a few years back. Check the height against the boat in the forground.
mvc429s8ba.jpg

No hiding behind the rocks.
If you go in the dog days of summer when there is no surf or current then it is well worth it. Absolutely clear out past the tip of the jettie. If you hit it right you can see the bottom drop off from waters edge out a good 150 yards. St. Joe's is a clean peaceful beach that gets overlooked quite a bit.

Hemlon:
Has anyone actually gone on their trips? (On second thought, I think I'll start a new thread with that question.)

IMO I think that their price is too high for just a few dives. I would rather go on a Flower Gardens liveaboard for a little more money.

Back
Top Bottom